Smoke Pro - Smoke Machine

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Smoke Pro - Smoke Machine

Post by Dave Hill »

STC wrote:Dave

What is that whirring noise in the background ?
That is an E46 secondary air injection pump, delivering the flow and pressure required for effective leak detection.

No workshop compressed air needed.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

No workshop compressed air needed.
Dave
10/10 for improvisation :D - I have a little compressor designed for Painting Finger nails - works off 12v.

I'm well on my with this project, have fitted 3 pressure Gauges on a manifold, Low, High & Digital - Being very A*al - I know :)

The accurate Variable Regulator (Panel Mount - not External) is on back order.

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Is flow rate an issue?
If not then there are lots of kits on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVAP-Vacuum-S ... 1916885243

there are others based on paint cans, but that will not take your pressure needs...

Converting one of these kits, maybe pairing it with a second hand SAI pump as an alternative source when airlines are not available?!

There are many flaws with the original designs, including gauge location for viewing and very small flow gauge (if you have the top end model) ...

Experienced users who understand the risks of pressures like you plan should still be careful, there are many components that are cross linked and some one-way valves might not appreciate being given the kick this might deliver ...

I'm interested, as the SmokePro is lacking but I'm a fan of using the flow rate gauge to diagnose not just the smoke as a visual indicator, so would be keen to include that feature in any project I did ... just my 2p

Keep us informed, and bring it over when you have it up and going!

Richard

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Maybe a simple solution for flow control / monitoring would be welding style gauges, which are cheap and off the shelf, for peanuts:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-25MPa-Argon ... 5731.m3795

Put a main regulator Pre-Smoke generator, to avoid excess inbound raw pressure, then after the smoke canister using a suitable hose, put the flow speed and the fine tuning regulator gauges, both easy to read hanging from say the bonnet, leaving the smoke canister on the floor out the way, no spilt baby oil!

Even a quarter turn shut off valve and remote switch for smoke could be placed by the two gauges, making it easy to turn on/off without bending over!!

Food for thought?
Richard

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Richard
Is flow rate an issue?
No, because the machine already has a flow meter. Next step would be to add a Digital Flow Guage
when airlines are not available?!
I have the Nail Painting Compressor and a Posh tyre inflator that can be pre-set as low as 20 psi then shuts off. So no excessive inbound pressures. Further testing will decide which gets hired & fired.
Experienced users who understand the risks of pressures like you plan should still be careful, there are many components that are cross linked and some one-way valves might not appreciate being given the kick this might deliver ...
I have stripped it down to component level and I am convinced it will be ok up to 2 or 3 bar and beyond. I have replaced all the Inbound pipework with fuel hose able to withstand 300psi - OTT !!

This week the Pressure regulator (that was on back order arrived. I have removed the original and fitted the replacement (0 - 4 Bar) internally. A very neat job, ( If I say so myself) not overly protruding.

Will post some pictures tomorrow (or as soon as) I'm overdue a visit to your neighbour in the coming few days - Catch up then :) We can test it together.

Once up and running, the next step will be to add a digital Flow Meter and transducer (MAP Sensor) with a view to be able to Scope, Record and Analyse the results Digitally.