Smoke Pro - Smoke Machine

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
STC
Banned

Smoke Pro - Smoke Machine

Post by STC »

I have one of these that has served me well for years but I would like to get it to pump in more pressure than it does right now.

I have taken it apart and see that it has a Fixed Pressure Regulator in the base set at (about) 150mBar / 1.5psi.
Replacing the pressure gauge for one with a higher scale is straightforward, the internal regulator will take some thought and research. Hence the questions.

Has anyone achieved this, and what pressure regulator was used ?
How much pressure will the unit safely hold ?

I was hoping to get a variable regulator in there that is adjustable from 0 - 3 bar (0-45psi) then I can use it for intakes at lower pressures and Air Suspension at the higher end of the scale

is 3 bar (45psi) a bit crazy ? At £700 I don't want to damage it.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Smoke Pro - Smoke Machine

Post by Dcunning35 »

I have a sykes vapour tester but as you say it doesn't give much pressure .
I bought a sealey turbo boost leak tester , basically pressures with compressed air at £50 it has proved worth its weight lately .
They are all over e bay buddy .
Danny

EAAD
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by EAAD »

Frank Massey does a conversion £100+vat inc p&p (1 bar though, not 3)
http://www.autoinform.co.uk/shop/#!/Fra ... ory=961005

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Good shout Danny

Call me fussy but I would like to see Smoke coming out of the leak. Helps if you want to stay Non Intrusive for example with an intercooler leak behind the bumper.
That Sealey kit could be stripped for spare, possibly has the regulator and gauge that I am looking for, the adaptors will come in handy one day too?

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

EAAD wrote:Frank Massey does a conversion £100+vat inc p&p (1 bar though, not 3)
http://www.autoinform.co.uk/shop/#!/Fra ... ory=961005
Yes, but only 1 bar - Not enough. All he has done is bypassed the internal regulator then fitted one externally.
I have always known him to be meticulous but in this case it is a shoddy conversion, He has fitted the new Gauge facing the WRONG way !!! Hanging off a bonnet catch you will need a step ladder to read it.
Really does spoil the look of a £700 machine.

In an ideal world I would want to fit the regulator internally and have the gauge facing forwards so it can be monitored.

The regulator and gauge are available off ebay for peanuts, my only worry is what pressure will the machine safely hold - I would like to put a 0 to 6 bar variable regulator in there if I were sure I could get away with it.

EAAD
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by EAAD »

Yes mate, I have seen it but not had it done there, not anywhere actually, yet.

It was a suggestion and dare I say, it seems to work for him.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out & im all in favour of your approach.

I have just built 4x first look type sensors out of an old alarm sounder and some pipe fittings for 8quid apiece and nothing short of perfect.

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Can you measure the smoke chamber walls we somtimes make internal oil tanks to go inside custom bike tanks out of .8 mm mild steel and pressure test them @ 75 psi they distort slightly but they are only about 60 mm round might give you an idea

Andrew

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Hi Andrew

The smoke chamber walls, from memory, are about 6mm alloy. The lower Red half does not hold any smoke or pressure neither is it sealed. Purely a housing for the regulator, pipework and power cable.

At this point I really cannot see a weak link that wont hold 3 bar or more, it is a good robust thing internally. Fingers crossed it will work out.

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Dave

What is that whirring noise in the background ?