X Y Channel switch.

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
mechonic

X Y Channel switch.

Post by mechonic »

Would it be possible to have an arrangement where the X and Y channels switch off their comparison of each other? CRT oscilloscopes have an add button to cancel the comparison which then leaves the two channels independent.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: X Y Channel switch.

Post by PicoKev »

I am intrigued as to what automotive application you would need that feature? :?

Please enlighten and educate me. :oops:

Kev.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I wonder if it is something to do with comparing analogue and digital signals :)

mechonic

Post by mechonic »

Hello,

I am wanting the X channel to be totally free running which means the signal it carries is not compared to signal Y. Pico automotive 6 has an XY mode so my question isn't related to automotive testing. Thanks for your interest.

Regards.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Standard operation would be Channel A against Time, Channel B against Time. XY mode is for plotting Channel A against Channel B, so by definition linked.

So I am unsure as to the nature of your question.

Do you have a one of our scopes, if so which model ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

mechonic

Post by mechonic »

Hello,

My reference to a CRT oscilloscope meant was it possible through software development to emulate the XY "add/non add" mode.

Regards.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I too am intrigued, I am sure that I will not be able to help you with this but I am interested in learning something. Humour me if you will. :D

After some head scratching I have come up with a couple of thoughts;

Are you looking to display Channel A Voltage on the X Axis and Channel B Voltage on the Y Axis or vice versa ?
Or, are you trying to look at 2 inputs (Channel A & B) on 2 different time bases ???

I digress from the thread but I'm curious :wink: :?:
I was on a Product / Scope course (not Pico - A Bright Coloured machine I bought from a van) some time ago when the Instructor bought up the subject and advantages of having 2 time bases on a scope. The example he gave was that he would want to simultaneously see Crank Position on one time base and lambda (a comparatively slower switching signal) on another, slower, time base.

To this day, 10+ years on, I cannot work out what his logic was. Lets say that scope software allowed this to happen, surely the relationship between the two and any diagnostic value, in an automotive application, would be lost and at best be misleading ??

Merry Christmas.

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

I remember my first scope which was crt it was old then in1985 had an eternal input for the Y never used it though I think the idea was to use the time base from the circuit under test

Andrew

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I know a man who knows the answer to this problem, and as soon as he tells me I'll pass on the information.

mechonic

Post by mechonic »

Hello,

Some close replies here. The X axis would receive an external timebase from the circuit under test. Could this be incorporated into the software?

Regards.