Ford Smart Charge problem

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Ford Smart Charge problem

Post by Liteace »

STC wrote:
The Vantage Pro that you have is poles apart from the Pico, just a toy by comparison. If you do ever become familiar with a Pico Automotive Scope, you may then begin to understand the magic and the difference.
STC wrote: I agree, we don't need the Power of Pico on every job we look at, ( I wouldn't leave home without it though) I have a Snap on M2 and a Fluke 123 which are great, convenient, quick, everyday Multimeters with 2 channel scopes.

You seem to be shooting yourself in the foot here a little:

"just a toy by comparison"
"we don't need the Power of Pico on every job we look at"
"I have a Snap on M2"

:?: :?: :?:
STC wrote: Great for the boys working on the big 12 cylinder exotics
STC wrote: I was thinking V10 & 12 TDi's in my last post that you refer to / quote from
I googled exotic cars / vehicles and no TDi's in the list :?:

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Hi all
think i agree with the toy bit

a toy kite can show wind direction just as well as a wind sock but maybe not as much info on strength

joking aside lets not ruin another interesting post

worth looking at picos data logger acts like a graphing meter it will show a can signal if i remember rightly but lacks the detail of a scope

I tend to use mine to monitor signals to get my head round inputs and outputs to a module if i dont have a diagram

use a voltage divider to set input voltage

Thanks Andrew

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

joking aside lets not ruin another interesting post
Indeed, the 4824 is not an automotive scope .. Period !! Pico have made that clear and given some very good reasons why it is not fully suitable.

All the posts & comments in the thread are unlikely to change that, it is what it is and I trust it does very well in the applications it is intended for.

There is nothing stopping any of you purchasing one and putting it to good automotive use, just be aware of its advantages and limitations over the automotive counterparts.

I look forward to the day that Pico come up with a solution to meet the need for more than 4 channels.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Hi just a heads up on the generator cmd signal the pcm monitors battery voltage and the iat to establish battery temp , smart charge does require the correct battery type ,ie silver calcium . Having said that I would say looking at the original information I would fit an oe alternator the reman genuine ford part isn't that dear when faced with lost time scratching around guessing what the cmd signal should be.

Danny

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Regarding spoiling a post I do think it turns into a witch hunt , we are all here sharing experiences and knowledge and I for one am very grateful for that privilege. I've has some great info from the likes or Richard,stc,Viktor amongst others .
Lets keep it focused on the technical aspects.
Danny