P1191 Opel Vectra Z22YH engine

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
STC
Banned

Re: P1191 Opel Vectra Z22YH engine

Post by STC »

Dave

Thanks, all cleared up very nicely :D

I now await what Bjorn & his students discover on his particular vehicle.

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi!

Has not been much time for me teaching in automotive electronics today and that is because our students, once in a while, have to read things like English and take part in other courses. :lol: I am 80% teacher and the remaining 20% technician at our school, which means, as today, repair of a stage piano, tube guitar amplifier, a big pile of microscopes and some other stuff.

Tomorrow we will proceed with our Opel Vectra and hopefully I got something to share then. We have 8 cars in our workshop(?), including the famous Vectra, so it is kind of running around everywhere and nowhere as the students ask a lot ... all the time :) I have ordered two PWM controllers from Ebay today but delivery time, even though the customer is very patient, is far beyond what I can expect him to wait. So I will go through, without the controller and along with the youngsters, the fault finding flowcharts and keep in my mind, what STC and other has contributed. Thanks again guys!

Bjorn

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Bjorn
So I will go through, without the controller and along with the youngsters,
Not an ideal way to do this but you still have the option of fully opening & closing the Solenoid (Pressure Regulator) with a 12v Supply with the intention of forcing Full pressure from the pump. Of course don't leave it powered up for too long, you don't want to destroy it.

On second thoughts is it possible to activate that solenoid via the diagnostic scan tool, if yes, then can it be operated with the engine running ?

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi STC and thanks for your reply!

I agree on not being ideal, but as a matter of fact, we did not even had time to start the session for a number of irritating reasons. Our students are now going for a two week period working in different workshops. The customer also wanted to have his car during that period, but I asked him if he could leave his car at school for a couple of days, and his answer was yes. So hopefully I can do all this in a, so to speak, less stressed environment, i.e. without students. My intention is of course to do a follow up on this when they get back.

Since I don't have the PWM controller (emulator) - as you suggested - I will supply 12 volts to the RPR and see what happens with the rail pressure. And of course hook up my lovely scope. :) Yes, I understand that it will be no good for the health of the RPR feeding 12 volts continuous for too long time. I am not sure for what reason I should check rail pressure at different settings though. Keep in mind that this is truly my first GDI engine with fuel problem, that's why I ask. =)

For your question if I can activate the solenoid via the scan tool, the answer is no.

Finally, I feel bad that I have not, even though it has passed nearly one week, been able to make the measurements you contributed with and not to mention, the time you all spent writing on the subject, I am sorry for that... However, I will be back again during this coming two weeks.
Bjorn

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Bjorn
I am not sure for what reason I should check rail pressure at different settings though.
It is Friday so we can employ a lighter, wittier tone :D

Easy !!
First Reason - Just Because you can !!!
Second Reason - The ECU will be monitoring those readings thousands of times per second. That is very good reason!
Third Reason - If the RPR (at different settings) cannot control Rail Pressure then the Vectra is in trouble and will have problems. - This is where we started, Is it not ?
Last edited by STC on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

STC!

Thanks! That was real quick reply STC! :) Yes ... of course it is where we started and you are absolutely right on every single point! Anyhow, and as I now realize, I will have to catch up with my not-so-excellent-knowledge in systems like that. It takes years of fault finding and learn how systems work - know that from my professional background in electronics.

Bjorn

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Tronic wrote:Hi Technician!

Yes, this is an common rail. Tomorrow I will add files recorded on my Pico. I am simply trying to find out how to pick the right faulty component without guessing. :)

Bjorn
Hi Tronic,

Just reading through the thread are you having problems uploading the files?

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi Technician and thanks for asking! :)

Well, think I will manage to upload files, but I am not sure what are the size limits of files like PSdata? Files I want to upload may or may not be relevant / important for this particular fault, though they are taken, - with 4 channels - from components in the fuel system. I am just curious to hear, if anyone interested, what you guys say and that may, at the and, delete some question marks I have. It is probably things that is obvious for most of you but things I would be more than happy to learn from all of you :D

Bjorn

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi Bjorn

Perhaps it is just easiest to share what you have got & allow us to dissect it. You are likely to get some useful feedback on the efforts that you have made.

Cheers

Dave

Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Tronic »

Hi Dave and thanks for input!

You are certainly right about that. We do not have this particular car in our workshop at school now and our students are going for a two week period working in different workshops. When they get back I will return with more useful information. Meanwhile the customer also wanted his car, but promised to bring it back in order to let us continue.

Cheers!

Bjorn