Max bnc cable length

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
MD tech
OneWave
OneWave

Max bnc cable length

Post by MD tech »

Hey everyone, I am a new scope user, I am trying to make it easier to perform tests, possibly while road testing a vehicle. I was wondering if it is possible to add extra lengths of bnc cable (up to 20 feet) without loosing signal quality.
thanks

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Max bnc cable length

Post by PicoMike »

MD tech wrote:Hey everyone, I am a new scope user, I am trying to make it easier to perform tests, possibly while road testing a vehicle. I was wondering if it is possible to add extra lengths of bnc cable (up to 20 feet) without loosing signal quality.
thanks
Hi,

I've just run this past one of our Tech guys here and they say you should be OK to do this but bear in mind using longer leads could well reduce the bandwidth of the scope, which would reduce the ability to measure fast signals such as FlexRay and CAN bus,

Regards,

Mike
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Just a guess from me.

Could this be overcome by using the normal BNC leads but use a longer USB lead ?

MD tech
OneWave
OneWave

Post by MD tech »

Thanks for the feedback, I am trying to put together a way to hace a roll cart with the laptop and scope, then run test leads to a vehicle, or have the scope inside while driving, so I have considered the longer usb cable, but it would not be ideal.

MD tech
OneWave
OneWave

Post by MD tech »

STC wrote:Just a guess from me.

Could this be overcome by using the normal BNC leads but use a longer USB lead ?
Thank you for the input, I have thought about a longer usb cable, however I am hoping to set up a small roll cart with a laptop and scope, and run test leads from there. I also would like to be able to keep the scope in the vehicle while road testing.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

MD

Perhaps I have missed the point. I find the 5 metre leads more than long enough to run from the Engine Compartment on most vehicles including Rear Engined models. Porsche Ferrari .....

Out of interest, what vehicles are you working on that would require 20 feet leads ?