Attenuators, Please list when I need one...

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
newpico4425

Attenuators, Please list when I need one...

Post by newpico4425 »

Hello,

I am 100% new to scopes. I am just getting into this field. I have a PicoScope 4425 and my question
is in relation to model 4425 specificly: Measuring signals exactly what component tests require
an Attenuator? I do not want to hurt my scope. (Kit came with one 10:1)

Thank you guys very much.....
Murle

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Attenuators, Please list when I need one...

Post by Autonerdz »

You will need the attenuators anytime you look at an ignition coil primary. That's why we supply all of our custom PicoQuad kits with an attenuator for each channel since looking at multiple coil primaries is an essential test on many systems.

Other than that, if you are not sure when working with a circuit that may have an inductive spike how high that spike might be, use an attenuator. You can always take it off once you see what it does. No worries on any gas injection that I am aware of but some diesel injectors will require an attenuator as well. When using an attenuator be sure that channel is grounded to bat neg or chassis ground.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts.

As a new user to Pico the Automotive Guided Tests will assist you here with when and where to fit attenuators

The image below is taken from one such Guided Test where you will be directed to install the attenuator depending on the type of scope installed. (20:1 in the example below for my 4423 scope)
Guided Test-Primary ignition
Guided Test-Primary ignition
Your 4425 scope has an max input voltage of 200 V with a 250 V Over Voltage protection which makes your device far more robust for our trade.

When all is said and done (like the post mentioned above) if in doubt, install the attenuator

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve

Vizopanda

Post by Vizopanda »

Hello,

On using the pico COP probe pp#357, the probe with the blue handle and paddle at the end to resto on the coil. Does the probe utilize an internal attenuation, and if so, what ratio might be?. thanks