Volvo V70 D5 2003 - Railpressure Problem

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
STC
Banned

Re: Volvo V70 D5 2003 - Railpressure Problem

Post by STC »

the car was evrywhere already i would think that they
checked the "easy" things already.
In my experience you would be WRONG, WRONG and then WRONG again to assume that.
In my Experience they would have replaced parts WITHOUT TESTING or CHECKING.

Forget that it has been to 6 other shops. Deal with what you have in front of you right now, start at the beginning with a robust, methodical test plan and assume nothing !!!

Start with the Fuel filler cap and slowly move forwards, inch by inch to the front of the car

Terbo, my friend !!
You have been advised at least twice, with good reason, not only by me, to confirm the Low Pressure Fuel Delivery Circuit FIRST ?
Could it be a injector or the security Valve at all in your opion ?
Yes !!! but you CANNOT rely on any test results at those components with an UNconfirmed LOW PRESSURE DELIVERY to the HP PUMP. BASICS FIRST !!!

Imagine yourself going to hospital thinking you are having a heart attack and the doctor is more interested in the bruise on your knee from playing football because it is easier, quicker and cheaper to test and fix ??? Don't be that doctor !!!

terbo
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by terbo »

Tested the FP at Filter and after filter - checked fine almost no drop.
Got over 0,8L in 30 sec. and stop pressure of 3,5 bar.
Tested then at the Inlet of the HP - same as after filter.
Tested the suction of the HP Inlet Pump - according to specs from Bosch - o.k (-0,3bar)
Tested restriction pressure from HD inlet to tank (under 0,1bar)
Tested leakage at the Injectors - :(

Tested Security valve at Idle and at WOT standing - not one drop to see.

I think it needs at least Injector on Cyl. 1
Attachments
Cyl. 5 compare after 1 Min runtime at idle
Cyl. 5 compare after 1 Min runtime at idle
Cyl. 1 after 1 Min at Idle
Cyl. 1 after 1 Min at Idle
Cyl. 1 is full after under 20 sec at idle - test aborted !
Cyl. 1 is full after under 20 sec at idle - test aborted !

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Please be sure to tell us if the new injector does fix it. It think it will :D

terbo
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by terbo »

Somebody know if these injectors have to be learned to the ECU ?

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

terbo wrote:Somebody know if these injectors have to be learned to the ECU ?

There are three injector classes that can be programmed to ECU. Class number is printed onto the injector. When installing class 1, 2 or 3 all injectors have to be from the same class (and programmed accordingly). When class 4 injector is installed as replacement then there is no need to replace all.

If one or two class 4 injectos is installed then no need to program different class. When installin three or more injectors then class 2 needs to be programmed.

If there is no class indication on injector then Volvo part number last digit indicates class.
Attachments
injectorclass.png
injectorclass.png (164.27 KiB) Viewed 17054 times

terbo
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by terbo »

Our new original Bosch exchange Injector
Attachments
Injector Bosch
Injector Bosch

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

This can be considered as class 4 so no programming needed.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

So little more information about this car feed pump. I was away with only my phone with me so wasn't in a mood to write longer text with phone.

There are some variations depending on model year and software version but overall it's the same.

This car has electrical feed pump in tank and mechanical feed pump in HP pump. When key is turned on then electrical pump runs for 90 seconds or until engine is started. When there is high load for more than 20 seconds then electrical pump is activated to prevent too high negative pressure in feed line and to lower fuel temperature.

If there is less than 20L of fuel in tank then pump runs all the time (when engine running). If pump fails then fuel from left side of tank won't be pumped (jet pump) to the right side (pump is on the right) and it just runs out of fuel.

This car runs fine with dead electrical pump. Only with high load for a long time there may be problems. And you must have more than 15L of fuel in tank otherwise it runs dry.

There has been problems with perfectly functioning pumps because of particles in tank. If these particles get stuck in one way valve then most of pumped fuel is flowing directly back to tank and pressure won't build up. This valve opens when pump is stopped and HP pump delivery pump is responsible of suction. With pressure this valve needs to be closed (it's a ball seat valve).

It's quite obvious that problem with this car is caused by this one faulty injector. Sometimes I like to test this on max pressure. Just unplug fuel volume control valve and max pressure is achieved. No need for this to see so faulty injector.

terbo
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by terbo »

Car got new Injector today - runs wounderfull now !
No Faultcode, no MIL, and no limp home Mode anymore....

Great !

jimmy

Post by jimmy »

volrem wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:34 pm
So little more information about this car feed pump. I was away with only my phone with me so wasn't in a mood to write longer text with phone.

There are some variations depending on model year and software version but overall it's the same.

This car has electrical feed pump in tank and mechanical feed pump in HP pump. When key is turned on then electrical pump runs for 90 seconds or until engine is started. When there is high load for more than 20 seconds then electrical pump is activated to prevent too high negative pressure in feed line and to lower fuel temperature.

If there is less than 20L of fuel in tank then pump runs all the time (when engine running). If pump fails then fuel from left side of tank won't be pumped (jet pump) to the right side (pump is on the right) and it just runs out of fuel.

This car runs fine with dead electrical pump. Only with high load for a long time there may be problems. And you must have more than 15L of fuel in tank otherwise it runs dry.

There has been problems with perfectly functioning pumps because of particles in tank. If these particles get stuck in one way valve then most of pumped fuel is flowing directly back to tank and pressure won't build up. This valve opens when pump is stopped and HP pump delivery pump is responsible of suction. With pressure this valve needs to be closed (it's a ball seat valve).

It's quite obvious that problem with this car is caused by this one faulty injector. Sometimes I like to test this on max pressure. Just unplug fuel volume control valve and max pressure is achieved. No need for this to see so faulty injector.
Old post, but where does this one way valve is located at the tank pump assembly?