Missing waveform file

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Missing waveform file

Post by KimAndersen »

Hello Pico

Here today I had a problem with my automotive diagnostic software that I want to share with you readers and maybe someone has a solution this bug in the software.

My present software version are 6.11.10.1608, so its not the latest version that I am using.

I had taken a waveform of a EGR valve which is duty-cycle controlled and saved this and everything is good.

Open this waveform file to add some notes and save it again and closes the program. Then I reopens the picoscope software program to add something more to my notes and again save my notes, but this time a was confronted with the bug report screen saying - that there was something wrong.

I closes the software and thinks that I just need reopen the waveform file and everything is fine again, but this time my waveform file is missing from my folder and I cant find it anywhere on my computer - the file is gone !!!!!!!!!!.

Just to add to the above, its not the first time the software has done this.

I would be nice with some feedback from you readers and off course from technical
support department.

Regards
Kim

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Missing waveform file

Post by KimAndersen »

Well - here today it happened again. I can't save the file when I try to close the automotive picoscope software the second time - exactly same situation as the first time I experienced this fault.

I´ve installed the latest software version 6.11.12.1692 just to try something but It seems to have done nothing positive to solve this problem.

I would be grateful for some help here as I dont know any solution to this problem.

I´ve have reported this by the feedback formular to Pico - so I expect that respond on my request.

Regards from a happy Picoscope user. :wink:
Kim

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Kim and sorry I did not see this earlier on your first post.

You mentioned you have reported this by feedback, could you confirm this was to support@picotech.com?

The support desk is continually monitored by a number of staff and this would normally have been addressed by now-Sorry. I have not seen this passed through to the automotive help desk and so I will check tomorrow when I return to the office if my colleagues have seen your feedback.

The quickest response to any Pico concern is via help desk (support@picotech.com)

Losing data is totally unacceptable and often costly as a user.
With regards to the bug report screen would you have a screen shot or a description of the screen content?

Could you confirm if your saved data is auto synchronized with cloud based storage such as Dropbox or Google Drive?

I can recall an incident with auto sync when PS data files were amended but this was some time ago and has not since been repeated.

I know this is a long shot and I don't want this to happen to you again, but if it should could you save a test file, close, open, amend and close.

This procedure will have generated a trace file, could you send this over to the help desk?

I am really not sure it will contain sufficient detail unless the fault is about to occur, but it may have something of interest for the engineers.

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Kim,

Our users are not reporting this issue as a common one. But... PCs do weird things sometimes with any application.

Best practice when editing any file, is to alter the name slightly when saving so as not to overwrite the original file. This way, if something does go wrong, you have not boogered up your original file.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Hi Kim,
We have received the trace file on Helpdesk :) thank you.

An initial look suggests that the file is being held open by another process, preventing the modified file from being saved, but then the software still tags it for deletion. We will look in more detail, and will follow up through the Helpdesk ticket, probably with a series of questions to identify the exact sequence of events leading up to the issue.

In the meantime if you change the name before saving you should be fine.

Thank you for your patience.

Martyn
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

I'm back with some interesting observations that I found in the trace file.

I wondered what this line could mean which I found in the trace file "The requested number of bytes could not be read. 400 of 400008 bytes read.".

My interpretation of this line is that it has only read the first 400 byte of the psdata file and that is why I cant save the file.

And now the big question - but why !!!.

I looked the psdata file throughly after and found that frame number 6 is missing of the total frames of 32.

Next thing I did was to see if I could "save" the psdata file or "save as" did work properly.

But this time I saved the psdata file with the frame count function and by saving frame 1 to 5 is it possible to save the file and same goes if I save frame number 8 to 32.

To my big surprise - it worked !!!.

So the missing frame 6 is the cause of all my problems.

Next question is - why is frame number 6 missing ?

Regards
Kim