Bmw E39 M5. Coil Driver

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Bmw E39 M5. Coil Driver

Post by STC »

I need some help locating either an exact replacement or a updated part number for this component.

A ignition coil melted and has blown the mosfet.

It is a Motorola component
MG B2
ON36CL

Any help, data sheets. Etc. Appreciated. Thanks

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Bmw E39 M5. Coil Driver

Post by andrewbishop66 »

try HGTP14N40 just googled the MG B2ON36CL found that they are used in Chrysler and someone had success using this number about $2 each min order 5 from china

Thanks andrew

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Talk to Simon@sparkylabs.co.uk He is a good chap and is a bit of a wizard at identifying and sourcing electronic components. He is very helpful and reasonably priced.

Kev.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Andrew, Kev

Thank you both for those pointers, hopefully all I need to produce a fix.

I have emailed Simon and await his response. I like the fact that he is UK based, has a published phone number and, in theory, may be the faster option to obtain the components. Could turn out to be a good man to know.

EAAD
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by EAAD »

STC...... Hes the lad who supplies the 'ucurrent' device if you recall?

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

EAAD wrote:STC...... Hes the lad who supplies the 'ucurrent' device if you recall?
Yes indeed I spotted that when I clicked on the link. :D

I shall be talking to him first thing tomorrow and will ask about that device. Thanks for the reminder.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

STC wrote: I like the fact that he is UK based, has a published phone number and, in theory, may be the faster option to obtain the components. Could turn out to be a good man to know.
You are spot on on all your points, :) there are a number of issues around customs and duties from "down Under" to Europe and the UK, the process can be long winded and expensive. Simon is a good bloke and is sort of a de-facto representative of Dave on this side of the globe. He also sells some really good meter leads if you are in the market for any.

There is :wink: "currently" :wink: a small delay in fulfilment due to a late batch; but get your order in so you can be one of the first to receive your unit.

Kev.

EAAD
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by EAAD »

No delay with mine kev..... Kept well informed and delivered in a timely fashion..... Not used it yet but it'll definitely come in handy.

sparkylabs

Post by sparkylabs »

Evening gents. Thank you for all of the positive feedback. I do my best for people.

Has anybody ever seen a datasheet for this device? At present all I can assume is that it's a MOSFET but I don't know what polarity it is or what its original specifications. I have sought out equivalent MOSFETs before for automotive stuff but I believe that was just a switch for a fuel pump but if this is driving an ignition coil I suspect it's a little bit more delicate.

Searching for the part number does not yield anything and I'm a bit nervous about trusting the datasheet of a part that has mostly the same letters in the part number and maybe a few extra.

Alternatively does anybody have a diagram of the circuit the MOSFET assuming it is a MOSFET goes into?

For anybody wondering about micro currents Dave is currently having the next batch assembled so I am hoping to have them within the next 4 to 6 weeks. I don't think Dave anticipated how popular they would be and he didn't stock up or have them made in huge batches but they have been very well received and I have indeed sold many in Europe mostly to Germany where the rules are so strict as it would seem they only allow stuff in that has a CE certificate if it is from outside of Europe but if it's inside Europe well that's okay no CE certification required apparently.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I still have this lurking around.

I did manage to source a component for it, but not fixed it.
M5 IGBT.png
I am still convinced that I have a bad component or have damaged it whilst soldering it onto the board. (I used hot air and tried not to cook it too much)

I have scoped the other 7 Good Components in the ECU with the engine idling. The Collector Earth & Gate Signal are Identical in Voltage etc. Only the Emitter to the Coil primary is missing on this one component.

I have good continuity from the emitter to the Coil itself, just as good as the other 7. Also tried switching coils.

I am convinced that my new component is either faulty or damaged.

And that is my question - Is this component faulty ?

Thanks