ground signal noise

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
tas_daz

ground signal noise

Post by tas_daz »

hi i have a new 4425 pico and i see that i have some noise in signals.i must take good ground from sensors to read,and some videos i see that the older pico not have so much problem.can i do somethink with that?thanks

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: ground signal noise

Post by andrewbishop66 »

I found the same thing but used filters to clean up the signals

Andrew

tas_daz

Post by tas_daz »

why?the older pico not have that problem.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi,

PicoScopes (old or new) have shielded electronics internally and the test leads are well shielded.

The wiring loom in a vehicle however is not shielded and wires from sensitive sensor signals run alongside wires from noise generating components such as injectors and ignition.

If you see noise its almost certainly really there in the vehicle - on some sensors you see less noise between chassis ground and sensor out and on others its better to measure between sensor ground and sensor output.

Its unlikely a newer PicoScope is picking up more noise unless because of the extra memory you have it is sampling faster for a given timebase. This could cause it to capture more high frequency noise (which is really there). Given the ECU will have a filter on each input its OK to use either the software or hardware filters to remove such noise.

Regards
Alan

tas_daz

Post by tas_daz »

thanks for help