Ford Galaxy 2010 2.0D

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
STC
Banned

Ford Galaxy 2010 2.0D

Post by STC »

This car will start with difficulty, sometimes 10 - 12 cranking attempts, then it will idle fine but will cough and splutter when revved.

In the short time I had, I could not identify the correct engine code but can confirm the control unit is a Delphi DCM 3.5

Each time it will throw a P0335 CKP Code. If I disconnect the CKP the engine will die instantly, no surprise there!

I got this capture back probed at ECU
Galaxy Bad.jpg
This has a Magnetic Phase Ring, not "teeth" on the Crank. A 3 Pin Hall Effect Crank Position Sensor.

I have heard all about the history of this fault, I don't believe any of it so wont bore you with that.
What I do know, looking at invoices from Ford Dealer is that it has had a Cambelt, Timing Chain in the Head, a Magnetic Crank Phase Wheel. Then Advised that it needed a new ECU and Software Update .....

The Extra Missing "teeth / tooth" looks Wrong to me ? If this was a weekday I would have ordered another and fitted it but being the weekend I am unlikely to get one until Tuesday

Normally I would not have to ask this question, but it has already been fitted with a New Genuine Ford CKP Magnetic Wheel at the Dealer. That has made me Question & Doubt myself.

I believe the Magnetic Wheel is faulty, I don't see a Correlation / Synchronisation Issue ? Can anyone confirm whether my Diagnosis is good or bad ??

thanks

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Ford Galaxy 2010 2.0D

Post by volrem »

I would say it has a faulty magnet in phase ring.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

volrem wrote:I would say it has a faulty magnet in phase ring.
And you would not be wrong :)

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

I assume that you changed the ring and fixed the fault?

Just thought about another option. One magnet on ring could have weaker field and when gap is too big then that weaker magnet would not trigger the sensor.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Indeed, fitted new ring and cured the fault.

This was not a "Gap" issue. I messed about with that, it has a new CKP Sensor too. Just a faulty / damaged Phase ring.