pressure transducer sensor

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
tas_daz

pressure transducer sensor

Post by tas_daz »

hi to all i know that the wps 500 is the best transducer in world but it cost and now i want to find a solution until i buy that perfect tool.you have any solution about 500 psi transducer?i see in some site about msi transducer and honeywell and some other tools but if someone try and it is good i want to know.thanks for help

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: pressure transducer sensor

Post by andrewbishop66 »

I use a generic 5 volt pressure transducer 500 psi powered by 5 volt usb cable you will need to make your own cable and you must have some understanding of how to connect up the transducer Please dont ask me how to do it as its not fair to pico but if you know how sensors work its not difficult just be aware its not going to be as responsive as WPS500

Pico moderator please feel free to delete if inappropriate

Thanks Andrew

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I too started with a MAP sensor mocked up to work with a scope then bought a Fluke PV350 (to save some money) some years ago and use it to this day. I don't know how good or bad it is in comparison to the WPS - not had that pleasure.

I can tell you that adapting it to my compression testers, coolant pressure testers, fuel pressure testers, oil pressure tester .... that I already own is a real b@llache. Its a visit to a local engineering shop begging him to find the time and motivation to make one off adaptors. Not to mention the time and effort spent in reducing the "Noise" it creates.

In short, I could have bought a WPS with all the adaptors Pico offer for what I have spent, and that is no way accounting for my time.
Last edited by STC on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Must admit I don't have a problem with adapters as we have a engineering dept well one bloke (me) one lathe and a cnc mill
But don't get any noise but its not a map sensor I brought them in 100,200,500 psi all metal with 1/8 npt and now waiting for a 500 bar for common rail pressure havent worked out how I going to calibrate it yet for custom probe table

But I will buy a WPS when funds allow

I also made from scratch a pressure wave sensor to look at exhaust and vacuum works really well on exhaust haven't tried it on vacuum yet

I used a piezo disc as a pickup

Andrew

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Andrew
Having a lathe etc. in house is a real help and advantage. The ability to make the things just the way YOU like them :D .

The 500 bar Transducer (that you are waiting for) will be fine for "Petrol Direct Injection" Fuel Pressure Measurements but NOT for Common Rail Diesel (Above Cranking & Idle).

For CR HP Pump testing, after some manipulation of the IMV & FP Regulator, Engine Start ability Paralysed, we would be looking for the HP Pump's ability to generate (MINIMUM) 1000+ Bar Pressure within 2 to 4 seconds of Cranking.

Ordering an additional transducer with 2500 Bar Spec/limit would be much better suited.

Have a close look at Delphi Kits YTD278, YDT410, YDT720 and Bosch Diesel Kit 3. That is what, I guess, you are trying to Manufacture & Achieve ???

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Hi STC

Yes that the idea the sensor is off a common rail Diesel A delph sensor that i have a electronic gauge for so I can write a custom probe table for I like to try and use 5 volt sensors as usb is a good ref voltage or a usb powerbank

but reading your post i must be way off with the maximum pressure thinking about it Im sure the gauge read about 30 mpa at idle on a transit I checked recently which is 300 bar so need to take a look at rail pressure at wot just looked up the system and delph system is up to 2000 bar

Thanks for pointing that out I just like to play I guess

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

We've just got a WPS500X kit, and yes, it's great :-)
but, you'll still need to create lots of adaptors for fuel rails, hydraulic circuits etc ...

even with several kits of manual gauges (which all seem to use unique quick release fittings - within the same brand) means custom adaptors to fit the WPS500, so buying the kit is only the start. We have lots of engines running as 2 separate banks, and having 2 of everything to see live running data has been key for 20 years, sadly can't run to 2 WPS500's so need to keep the ability to run the gauges side by side for comparatives (and sense check).

We avoided most engineering (no lathe in house) costs, by buying spare parts for the kits to get adaptors to create 2 way conversion, so we can plug anything onto a Foster2, and can plug the Foster2 onto any kit, that way we can swing back and forwards without undoing everything, just quick release. The savings using bought "spare parts" has been considerable. Sealey are very good at this, others a bit hit and miss.

We try and start using the Pico Kit or our own T adaptors (for low pressure we've standardised on the Foster2), reducing extra pipes (most fuel pressure testers use long pipes, that allow pulse deadening (they are not braided), which is key for detailed analysis of the capture.

We have ordered a load of male and female Foster2 from the USA, with various male/female/push fit connections, as apart from the one Pico sell, they are impossible to obtain in the UK or Europe. If anyone is stuck please let me know, as we have spares!

Not thought about USB for powering sensors, we've used car voltage and 5v boards to provide stable power, but that's a nifty idea, and pretty easy provided the power demand is kept under review ... anyway cheap USB power meters are only a few £, so should be easy to keep track of it.

Best
Richard

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Hi
Interestingly typical current draw for a 5 volt sensor is less than 50ma so not been a problem

Thanks Andrew

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Not thought about USB for powering sensors, we've used car voltage and 5v boards to provide stable power, but that's a nifty idea
I make good use of the little Cigar Lighter to USB convertors
Capture 5v USB.JPG
Not only for testing sensors but powering up MAP sensors I use as pressure/ vacuum transducers and as a repair for the APP fault on the older Astra G models amongst others.

Richard
We have ordered a load of male and female Foster2 from the USA, with various male/female/push fit connections
A link and some part numbers would be great when you have some time.