NVH sensor which use?

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: NVH sensor which use?

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts

With regards to the OBD lead there are a number on the market, the choice is really which do you buy based on use and of course cost.

Do you have an OBD tool already in use utilizing the J2534 protocol via USB? (Not Bluetooth)
If so this may well function with the NVH software.

The lead I am using is the Mongoose Pro (optimized for Toyota) but has functioned with every vehicle I have connected to so far via the J2534 protocol.
Once connected , the NVH software requests Engine speed, Road speed and VIN. All of which are surrendered by the on board PCM and displayed in the NVH analysis screen.

The alternative method for engine speed input is via Channel D (4th Channel) of the scope as you have mentioned. This could be a pulsed signal relative to engine speed. You could therefore connect to the crank sensor and adjust the "pulse per rev" setting in the set-up wizard of the NVH software until you have the correct engine speed (Often 60 or 36 pulses per rev).

Here then, the raw speed signal is fed into the PC (via the scope) to the NVH software which displays and graphs the engine speed for view in the signal history chart. (No OBD link required)

Should you wish to obtain road speed, you would then need to enter transmission / differential ratios and Tyre size, then select "Calculate Road Speed" under the options menu.

When using the microphone you are correct, this will consume one channel of your scope only, using the included
omni-directional microphone.

Regarding the number of parameters available via the OBD, theoretically those covered by EOBD regulations should be accessible with minimal research / code cracking.

At present the NVH software only asks for engine speed, road speed and VIN.
In the future this potentially could be extended.

I hope this helps, take care........Steve

demodan
OneWave
OneWave

Post by demodan »

Thanks Steve,

So if I've got this straight the OBD connection would go directly to the PC and wouldn't use any channels on the scope. This means I could use one scope channel for the microphone and 3 for the accelerometer.

I noticed an 8 channel scope on your non-automotive site, is this compatible with the NVH kit?

Cheers

Dan

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Dan and thank you for the feedback.

You are correct, the OBD connection will go directly to the PC and will not consume any channels.

You now have multiple options at your disposal with 4 channels in which to connect any combination of accelerometers and microphones. Could you have a read through the thread below?

post37911.html?hilit=nvh#p37911

The 8 channel Scope is a Test and Measurement device and unfortunately will not function with any of the automotive software including NVH.

You may find this thread of interest around the 8 channel scope.

post38291.html?hilit=8%20channels#p38291

I hope this information is of some help, take care......Steve

evolini tommy

Post by evolini tommy »

For connecting the VCI, to withdraw from the EOBD socket, turns, speed and frame, I have used and use both the 570 kts, the texa TXTS VCI, the latter possess the required communication requirements, the only one who knows that you have to do is to download the special software for bosch and texa inherent in passtrue, install and configure devices in mode 'usb passtrue using the specific programs of the VCI manufacturers.
Attachments
VCI connection to rev / speed '/ EOBD frame only for relatively recent systems, for the most' older vehicles, use sensor r / a-cam square wave and set it for tours / correct motor
VCI connection to rev / speed '/ EOBD frame only for relatively recent systems, for the most' older vehicles, use sensor r / a-cam square wave and set it for tours / correct motor

evolini tommy

Post by evolini tommy »

One question I have to ask you Mr. Steve, if I view via the accelerometer vibration nn recognized by "unknown" software can I enter if discovered the cause ?? If you like I do ??

tode
OneWave
OneWave

Post by tode »

Hi Tommy, when I try with Bosch, Pico software recognizes it, but doesn' t work because it dosen' t read VIN e doesn' t connect.
Does Bosch work fine with you ?

evolini tommy

Post by evolini tommy »

Cristian Hello !! It's a small world ... With Bosch No I have no problems I did a little bit of effort to set it up, as I had trouble with TXTS of texa even more stain than the Bosch, but once configured a bomb for the frame depending on the year of the car because nn always recognizes a bit like going under diagnosis nn always possible to launch the process of self recognition by reading the frame !!
In that case I lose a scope channel on D and I note the revolutions through the rounds hall effect sensor or to always hall effect phase, once the D channel used must also set the reading for the laps really generated engine, to be able to view the correct laps !!
With the beta version, the program will see much more complete, and I add also those vibrations whether longitudinal ski, vertical, lateral nn recognized by the program !!
nice really nice this device !!!
Forgive me for my English / Arabic but nn speak the language I have to get help from google translator