New Beta 6.12.1 ... Win7 min

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

New Beta 6.12.1 ... Win7 min

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi
Is the need for windows 7 going to be a core requirement from 6.12.xxx onwards, or is this just an installer issue or indeed just an oversight? :!: :?:

thanks
Richard Lukins
FioranoCars.com

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: New Beta 6.12.1 ... Win7 min

Post by Alan »

Hi,

From R6.12 onwards we are going to support Win 7 / 8 / 10.

If you want to use an older operating system its probably best to stay with R6.11. Having said that R6.12 will probably work with Vista but we are not going to be testing new releases on Vista.

It will not work on XP as it requires a version of .NET not supported. In addition Microsoft have made it almost impossible to release new versions of software for XP as you can not digitally sign software in a format XP supports any more. Microsoft stopped supporting XP in 2009.

Apologies if this means some people with old versions of Windows can not upgrade to the new beta but we are pretty much forced to drop XP by Microsoft. On the plus side using more modern development tools / not having to target / test for so many operating systems will help us continue to improve the software.

Regards
Alan

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Thanks for the information, but a real shame, as sadly have to maintain many xp devices for other older hardware / software combos that can't be made to work on anything newer! Just mean's these devices have even less contribution to the workflow.

I guess we can still use older versions, so all is not lost.

Thanks
Richard

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

FioranoCars wrote:Thanks for the information, but a real shame, as sadly have to maintain many xp devices for other older hardware / software combos that can't be made to work on anything newer! Just mean's these devices have even less contribution to the workflow.

I guess we can still use older versions, so all is not lost.

Thanks
Richard

Keep in mind that files saved with latest beta cannot be opened with older versions (including current stable).

I understand your situation but Pico can't keep ancient things stopping the new great things coming.

I guess it's time to upgrade Pico computers to newer Win and keep XP only for things that still need it.

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Yes, onwards and upwards, and obviously many new features can be included now the historic platforms are ditched :D
... Can't wait to hear of all the new bells and whistles that will be possible :D :D

Richard