Buying a PICO 4 channel scope

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Buying a PICO 4 channel scope

Post by Technician »

Currently I have a two channel snap on Vantage scope, but I now want to update to a four channel, I know PICO have a mixer that will allow something like 6 or more channels but I have been advised its not for automotive use.

The problem here now is that this kit is advertised in Workshop Solutions via Euro Car Parts and they only provide their own part number for the kit, which is 355 77 1430. The description seems to advise that the kit covers both petrol and diesel vehicles and says it is an advanced kit, which it says covers;

> Ignition primary and secondary
> Injectors and fuel pumps
> Relative compression tests
> Lambda (oxygen) airflow, knock and map sensors
> Glow plugs and timer relays
> Battery starter and charging circuits
> ABS sensors, crank and cam sensors
> Flexray, CAN and LIN Bus.

They are looking at £2000 for the kit, would this kit be up to date, the magazine is dated August 2015.

Thanks

PhilS
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Buying a PICO 4 channel scope

Post by PhilS »

Hi Technician

Thanks for looking to make the move to PicoScope - I am sure you will be delighted and please do take full advantage of the technical resources, waveform library and other support available on our website and within the software.

The ECP Advanced Kit is the latest PicoScope Advanced Kit. You can see all the details on
http://www.picoauto.com/products/automo ... t/overview

The only differences between the various PicoScope kits are the set of accessories included, and whether the scope is 2-channel or 4-channel. You can add further accessories, such as WPS500X for pressure testing, at any time. The only addition that is not possible is to change from 2-channel to 4-channel.

The PicoScope inside each kit is capable of handling all types of vehicle (including petrol, diesel, LPG, EV and hybrid), and all the systems and tests that have listed - plus thousands more. What changes the 'coverage' between the kits is the set of accessories, some of which are used within the Guided Tests that come free with the software. With the Advanced Kit you get a great selection of current clamps and adaptors to handle most of these tests.

Regarding the 6 or more channels, there are a couple of things that are often mentioned.

The first is that on the Test & Measurement side of the business we do have an 8-channel scope. This lacks the higher voltage range inputs and input protection of the 4425 Automotive Scope, it is a common ground system unlike the floating inputs on the 4425, and is not supported by the Automotive software such as Guided tests, waveform library and ConnectDetect(R).

The second is the use of the reference waveform features inside PicoScope. This allows signals to be stored for comparison extending the use of 4 channels. Just remember to use the same time settings and trigger in order to keep the reference waveforms relevant.

Please do keep using the forum, and subscribe to our newsletter for regular information, updates and ideas.

If you want any further information, please call us on 01480 396395 and ask for Automotive Support or Sales.
Alternatively you can email sales@picotech.com or support@picotech.com for help at any time.

Best regards
Phil

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Technician wrote: I know PICO have a mixer that will allow something like 6 or more channels but I have been advised its not for automotive use.
Bad advice at best :shock: not having a clue what they are talking about......., if one was being uncharitable! :roll:

I suspect you are referring to the mixmaster unit :arrow: https://www.picoauto.com/products/ignit ... gnal-mixer

It is designed specifically for automotive use and will show you up to a total of 12 ignition events on 2 separate banks of 6. (It is all in the link) I have no idea if it will work on the Vantage but it certainly works on the Pico :D

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thank you Phil and Picokev for your replies. I may not have worded my post correctly but I think Phil understood about the 8 channel scope I was referring to, I was not initially sure how many were available, sorry about that Picokev.

So Phil, this kit 355 77 1430 from ECP, is it the 4425 ?

Can I use the 8 channel scope "I call it a inter phase" with the advanced kit?

I'm looking at buying the advanced kit this Wednesday.