Battery test-current probe

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
Alfik

Battery test-current probe

Post by Alfik »

Hi,
where i can set my current 600A probe, which has 5mV/1A factor? I see high current over 2kA.
Thanks for reply.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Battery test-current probe

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Alfik and thank you for the post.

Unfortunately to accurately measure current up to 2000 A you will need the TA167 clamp

https://www.picoauto.com/products/curre ... rent-probe

As soon as we exceed the maximum input of the current clamp our test results cannot be relied upon as the clamp will simply reach saturation point.

You could use a x1 probe setting and voltage scale (+-10 V) for your 600 A clamp rather than the 600 A probe setting (amp scale)

Here you will then be able to view the waveform beyond the 600 A input but the data and information obtained cannot be relied upon.

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

Alfik

Post by Alfik »

Thank you for answer Steve.
Unfortunately, in the Pc Diagnostics software I do not have the ability to set my probe that generates a voltage 3000mV at 600A (ratio of 5 mV/A).
Or is it necessary to use in Battery test only probe 600A or 2000A with a ratio of 1 mV/A?
In the PicoScope Automotive software I can adjust my non-standard probe over an item Tools, Custom Probes.
Thanks.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Alfik and thank you for the feedback.

Sorry I was not aware you were using the Pico Diagnostics software where you only have the option to use either
the 600 A or 2000 A clamp (1mV/A)

For this software (battery test) you would need a current clamp with an output matching that above (1 mV/A ) as there is no feature to amend this probe setting within Pico Diagnostics

Take care.......Steve