Toyota TIS Techstream question

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
arbez

Toyota TIS Techstream question

Post by arbez »

Morning all. I'm looking at a used Toyota TIS Techstream 4223 Picoscope. I am wondering if this scope will work with the standard Picoscope automotive software independent of the Toyota Techstream hardware/software. I am trying to figure out if there is something in the TIS Techstream version that would only allow it to work with or through the TIS Techstream computer. I'm a independent tech that works on almost everything & am looking to move up from my Hantek scope. Thanks for your time. GG - arbez

PhilS
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Toyota TIS Techstream question

Post by PhilS »

Hello arbez, and thanks for contacting us.

You are right to ask as some PicoScopes are locked so that they will only run the software for that vehicle manufacturer.
In this case, the PicoScope you have should be fine with generic PicoScope and PicoDiagnostics software.

For anyone facing this question I would suggest you download the free PicoScope software
https://www.picoauto.com/downloads
and check with that scope on your own computer.
Any problems or questions, please just email support@picotech.com or call us on +44 1480 296295 and ask for support

I hope you will also take advantage of the resources in the Pico Library
https://www.picoauto.com/library
and please do subscribe to our newsletter for updates and technical tips.

I hope you enjoy the benefits of your PicoScope, and remember that you will also receive free software updates for your scope.

Best regards
Phil

arbez

Post by arbez »

Phils, Thanks for the reply. The owner of the scope tried to get it to work with the generic software & said that he could not get the software to recognize the scope. Through email, we went back & forth a few times, trying different things to get it to work & I'm pretty sure that I was really starting to annoy him. He didn't seem to know what he was doing & he just wanted a quick sale. I began to question the legal origin of the scope & decided to pass on the deal. He sold it a short time later. Shame, a mostly complete 2 channel standard kit that looked like it was hardly used. Price was right too. I'm sure there will be another just down the road. Thanks again & happy holidays. GG - arbez

Richard_Boyd

Post by Richard_Boyd »

Hello Arbez,

All the Toyota branded TIS Techstream 4223 and 4423 Picoscope's are sold to the dealerships, not the techs. Therefore I wouldn't suggest purchasing it, as it should not be for sale and is likely stolen.

Also, the Toyota PicoScope's came with Toyota specific PicoScope software which is downloaded through a subscription to Toyota's Dealer Technical Information System.

Regards,

Richard Boyd