USB 3.0 Cable for new scope

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
stephen858

USB 3.0 Cable for new scope

Post by stephen858 »

I’ve just ordered the new 4425 scope to replace my older 2 channel Pico.
I have converted my blue-point role cart into a diagnostic trolley with a boom for the scope to hang on with the 4.5m Pico usb 2.0 cable and was expecting to just replace the old for new.
As the new scope is usb 3.0 I was going to order a 4.5m usb 3.0 cable also but Pico don’t do one so I was wondering if anyone has used the old blue 4.5 cable on the new 4425 scope and if there was any issues.
Even if Pico done a 3m cable it would do as I don’t like the cables running along the ground as they are easy to trip on and does not do the scope any good when it goes flying across the floor.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: USB 3.0 Cable for new scope

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Stephen and thank you for the enquiry. We have discussed the USB 3.0 cable length issue as there are numerous workshops using the scope in exactly the same fashion with a boom.

At present, 1.8 meter is the length available and you are right that 3.0 meter should suffice.

The 4425 scope is USB 2.0 and 1.1 compatible but a 4.5 meter USB cable would exceed the recommended standard cable length for USB 3.0 of 3 meters.

I have used the 4.5 meter Pico blue USB 2.0 cable with my 4425 scope and experienced no issue, but we should err on the side of caution here to protect the integrity of the signal when taking advantage of faster screen update speeds.

One option would be to include a powered USB hub to connect 2 x 1.8 meter Pico blue USB 3.0 leads together as this would most certainly allow the scope to reach the end of your boom, but would include an additional power supply for your hub.

I will continue to request a 3.0 meter option here at Pico and will feedback when I have some news.

I hope this helps, take care.....Steve

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi,

If you use the 4.5m USB2.0 cable then the scope will run in USB2.0 mode. The distance will be fine but you will loose the USB3.0 speed advantage.

A longer USB3.0 cable MAY work, but as Steve says its technically out of spec so its possible there may be issues. It depends on the quality of the USB cable and the PC.

Regards
Alan

Snailracing

Post by Snailracing »

Hi all,

I've also made a service trolley and I used to have a Pico 4423 connected via the 4m accessory cable, But I have since upgraded to the 4425. When I connected the 4425 using the older 2.0 4m cable I had all sorts of errors so I had to revert back to the standard supplied 3.0 cable.

I shopped around, and here in New Zealand we have an electronics store called Jarcar and I found an Active USB 3.0 extension cable and this fixed my issue.

I know most of you aren't in NZ (Or Australia) But I'm sure this is just a generic cable re branded by Jaycar, so it should be fairly easy to find