Any form of cooperation between NVH and GPS data?

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
Belet
OneWave
OneWave

Any form of cooperation between NVH and GPS data?

Post by Belet »

Good afternoon, guys!

One of my customer told me that he was doing some NVH test on some problem vehicles and he wanted to adding the GPS data of the testing car as another factor to analyze. He asked me if there is a way importting GPS data into the PicoDiagnostics so as to analyze?

Or is any form of usage of GPS data available in NVH Diagnostics?

I don't know if there is any example that has demonstrate the application of GPS on NVH.

I think we can make the NVH co-operate with GPS.

Maybe it's time for Software Development Kit to work. 8)

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Any form of cooperation between NVH and GPS data?

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Belet and thank you for the post.

This would make an interesting and valid addition to the NVH software as terrain often has a major effect on a vehicles behaviour

Unfortunately it is not possible to import GPS data into NVH but I will most certainly request this feature internally.

Using the NVH kit, I would also like to see additional inputs such as Gas Pedal Position along with road and engine speed.

When reviewing data it would be favourable to know if a vehicle was in "drive or overrun" conditions especially where we have load related vibrations.

All these suggestions are great and please keep them coming in.

Take care......Steve

LEYLAND MILL MOTORS
OneWave
OneWave

Post by LEYLAND MILL MOTORS »

Wheel speed and steering angle position would be helpful if not already available

Valhalla
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Valhalla »

It's an interesting question, but for the life of me, I cannot think why the GPS data in its own sense would make any difference to NVH analysis; almost everything of interest is available over an OBD tool, such as engine speed, load, coolant temp, etc. etc. So the way the car is being driven is available from OBD.

Has this "customer" actually justified why he/she is asking for GPS coordinates?

My only thoughts as to why I would use GPS data would be if I had a "chassis ear" system in place, and wanted to see if the problem appeared or disappeared as the car changed direction. I would think that any competent driver/operator of the NVH equipment could flag such an event as it happened, or shortly afterwards!

Belet
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Belet »

The customer is an automotive quality assurance personnel. He wants to take the GPS data into the analysis. I don't know his detailed work, but it's no doubt professional analysis to take. :P
Last edited by Belet on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valhalla
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Valhalla »

Belet wrote:The customer is an automotive quality assurance personnel. He want to take the GPS data into the analysis. I don't know his detailed work, but it's no doubt professional analysis to take. :P
Yes, that seems to be the way with these automotive quality assurance personnel!!! :wink: