1988 Ranger Skipping

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
gdaddy

1988 Ranger Skipping

Post by gdaddy »

I am new to this board. Just recently purchased a Picoscope. I have a 1988 Ford Ranger 2.9 that has a skip on cylinders 1 and 4. Other shops have replaced the usual things...plugs, wires, even the distributor. I have performed a compression check [OK], removed valve covers to inspect valve components [all OK] and I have tried to perform a cylinder pressure test with the Pico {cylinders 1 and 4 are a little lower that the others]. We removed the cylinder heads and they were rebuilt...no help.
Is there anyone who can help me [or point me] in the right direction? I tried a new computer, new distributor, smoked the engine checking for vacuum leaks, and replaced the two injectors on the affected cylinders. I can get a good clean firing pulse on the two cylinders that are skipping also. I removed the fuel rail and manually pulsed the injectors...fuel flows easily from injectors. I had a local instructor look at it and he was baffled. I have ran out of options.
Because 1 and 4 are beside one another in the firing order, I lean toward ignition but I have tried it all. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Mike

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 1988 Ranger Skipping

Post by Fat Freddy »

Other shops have replaced the usual things...plugs, wires, even the distributor
I replaced the distributor and the ECM

:?: :?

You really need to post the data files like you said you would.

HTH
FF

roadserpent
OneWave
OneWave

Re: 1988 Ranger Skipping

Post by roadserpent »

Mike, one month ago you posted this same truck problem. You are being like the horse that is dying of thirst and we have led you to a nice fresh water pond - but you will not drink ! where are some pressure waveforms ? what was the valve lash clearance set to ? How are the cam lobes on these two cylinders ? If you don't post some info the guys on here cant be more then parts changers, much like the people that have spent big money on this truck already.