Battery Test

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
Belet
OneWave
OneWave

Battery Test

Post by Belet »

Hi,
To make a battery test, just we capture the voltage and current during cranking can we get a health report of the battery from software.
Is the report exact ? Is there any algorithm that the software calculates the details of the batterry with only two factors voltage and current during cranking?

Recently, an auto mechanic' replaced a bad battery with a new one for his customer and ran a battery test with our scope in order to show a health report. Unexpectedly, the software reported a bad battery to be replaced. You can imagine how his face with great shock looked at that time. But he immediately changed his face and told his customer it always reported so when dealing with a new battery kept a long time.

The auto mechanic told me the the new battery was normal and did work but why he got a bad report. The version of the sofware is 6.11.18 which has a little bugs.

Is it a bug?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Battery Test

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Belet and thank you for the post.

Regarding the software used to carry out the battery test you mentioned 6.11.18, our website has 6.11.5 Beta, could you confirm the software version and was it a Beta version?

Could you post the battery test results and the trace file over to support@picotech.com for a more rapid response?

There are a number of variables here surrounding the battery test that could have led to an erroneous result as the software would normally return a “good result” with a new battery.

The trace file and test results will help to evaluate what we believe is a false test result.

Regarding the algorithm for calculating the serviceability of a battery, there are numerous factors that come into play here including (but not limited to) battery voltage and current.

The rate of fall in battery voltage, the delivery time of current in relation to load, the recovery rate of the battery after cranking, and the charge rate/load required to recover the battery all play a part in the evaluation of the battery test.

I hope this information is of some help, take care……..Steve

Belet
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Belet »

steve smith wrote:Hello Belet and thank you for the post.

Regarding the software used to carry out the battery test you mentioned 6.11.18, our website has 6.11.5 Beta, could you confirm the software version and was it a Beta version?

Could you post the battery test results and the trace file over to support@picotech.com for a more rapid response?

There are a number of variables here surrounding the battery test that could have led to an erroneous result as the software would normally return a “good result” with a new battery.

The trace file and test results will help to evaluate what we believe is a false test result.

Regarding the algorithm for calculating the serviceability of a battery, there are numerous factors that come into play here including (but not limited to) battery voltage and current.

The rate of fall in battery voltage, the delivery time of current in relation to load, the recovery rate of the battery after cranking, and the charge rate/load required to recover the battery all play a part in the evaluation of the battery test.

I hope this information is of some help, take care……..Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your detailed reply.
First I have to amend the software version is 6.10.18 which is without a NVH option on PicoDiagnostics.
I learnt a lot from you. I am sorry that the auto mechanic did not saved the test results which scared him and was closed in a hurry.
As you say, there is viarious of factors leading to the bad result.
So Iet the problem bring a disscution on it. :wink:

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Belet and thank you for the feedback.

We all have so much to learn and this forum is great for such knowledge from end users working in the real world.

If we could reproduce this symptom and save a PD file that would prove invaluable.

Take care.......Steve