207 1.6 HDI P0087

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
BradCobbs
OneWave
OneWave

207 1.6 HDI P0087

Post by BradCobbs »

I have a Peugeot 207 1.6HDI with a 2011 registration. VIN:VF3WA9HP0BW014035 ENG: 9HP EDC17C10
I have a persistent code coming back, which is P0087... Launch's description is Fuel Circuit, pressure measured in the injection rail lower than the setting.
I have changed the fuel filter, done a leak off test, bypassed the fuel filter (dodgy pump housing), I've watched the rail pressure whilst driving- the desired pressure and measured pressure are pretty much the same value, reaching roughly 1300bar... and 350bar at idle.
I've also tested the rail pressure with a pressure gauge and watched the live data and the values are the same again.
When driving the car, as soon as the boost kicks it immediately goes into limp and P0087 returns once more.
It''s also had an engine ECU software version update.
Autodata doesn't seem to have any component testing for this vehicle which is handy.
Does anyone have any information on these? The rail is conveniently hidden behind the inlet manifold up against the block.
It's also been to quite a few garages with this problem, so I'm unaware what has been replaced etc.
Thanks in advance, Brad.

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 207 1.6 HDI P0087

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi

I have no first hand experience with this engine so my advice with this engine type comes from
other common rail engines that I have diagnosed.

It would have been nice with some sort of a log file either from the Launch scanner or even better from a picoscope diagnostic software, where the rail pressure sensor is being logged.

I have seen a description of the DTC P0087 where one of criteria to set the low pressure DTC are
a pressure drop below 140 bar in for 0,3 seconds.

With all respect for your measurement - I dont think you would see such a pressure drop with the
Launch scanner and this goes for any type of scanner you use. The time frame is to short, but it
might be possible to see with the picoscope connected to the rail pressure sensor.

I know, its not much of advise that I can give right now, but with a waveform capture of rail
pressure sensor it might be possible to diagnose your engine problems.

Regards
Kim :wink:

BradCobbs
OneWave
OneWave

Post by BradCobbs »

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I've managed to spend a couple of hours on the car this afternoon and removed all necessary parts to access the pressure sensor (not pleasant).
I'm pretty sure the sensor is working correctly, I've labelled my capture in notes for the driving part of the waveform.
It's not letting me upload the psdata file. I'll get a couple screenshots and post them if possible.

BradCobbs
OneWave
OneWave

Post by BradCobbs »

Second gear pull.
Attachments
2nd gear pull.png

BradCobbs
OneWave
OneWave

Post by BradCobbs »

2nd gear change into 3rd
Attachments
2nd gear into 3rd.png

BradCobbs
OneWave
OneWave

Post by BradCobbs »

Third gear pull and then into limp at 1.1 seconds in. P0087 is the only code.
Attachments
3rd gear into limp at 1.2 seconds.png

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

What about desired/actual FRP from the data stream when it faults ?

How's about a pump proof test ?

That waveform doesn't look right to me with peaks & trough's like that & low in amplitude, read the DTC description - what's it telling you ?

Forget any road testing & do my 2nd suggestion.

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi Brad

I have seen some writings from another forum where they had similar problems regarding the
diagnostic trouble code P0087 you are having and the solution were a new fuel filter.

As you already have replaced the fuel filter is this now out of diagnostic plan, but there could
be other things there are restricting the fuel flow to and from the high pressure pump.

Is there a priming pump in the fuel tank or is the fuel being sucked from the tank !!!.

Regards
Kim :wink:

AWright

Post by AWright »

Where have you placed your probes ?

Graphing the RPS, and inlet metering valve duty cycle together would tell alot more.

What are your results from the low pressure side ?

BradCobbs
OneWave
OneWave

Post by BradCobbs »

Robski wrote: How's about a pump proof test ?
By replacing the rail pressure regulator on the pump with a dead end blank? I've captured a couple waveforms today if that's what you mean?
Robski wrote:That waveform doesn't look right to me with peaks & trough's like that & low in amplitude, read the DTC description - what's it telling you ?
So by that could it be that the pressure regulator isn't efficient? Slow switching which causes a pressure drop?
The code description is as follows " Fuel Circuit pressure measured in the injection rail lower than the setting"