Cropping Reference Waveform

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
awood85

Cropping Reference Waveform

Post by awood85 »

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before - I have searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

I have a 30s high resolution trace of diesel injector voltage and current during an on road drive cycle. Is there a way I can crop a single injection event from the trace to save as a reference waveform?

Currently I have to time align and zoom right in on specific event I'm interested in from the whole 30s trace. This makes it very difficult to compare the realtime triggered trace I now have and even more difficult to come back to that again later as I have to align and zoom all over again.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Cropping Reference Waveform

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Adam and thank you for the post. I just need to walk this through with you to ensure I understand your concern.

From your 30 second capture you can zoom into a single injection event of interest and save the zoomed area as a reference waveform.

Select TOOLS-REFERENCE WAVEFORMS-select the channel of interest from the "Available" list and select DUPLICATE.

Now Tick the box adjacent to your duplicated waveform (visible under the "Library" list)

You will now have a reference waveform of the single zoomed injection event of interest.

You can then save this reference waveform (Export) to a default "references" folder by selecting TOOLS-REFERENCE WAVEFORMS clicking on your reference waveform under the "Library" heading and then selecting EXPORT. Here you can then name and save the reference waveform ready to IMPORT at any time on any new captures.

Unfortunately in this scenario the whole waveform is saved not just the zoomed area you require and I can see the issues you would have trying to align a single injection event from a live 30 second capture and an imported 30 second capture. (reference waveform)

One possibility would be to "Save As" the zoomed area only of your original capture and then reopen the saved zoomed area psdata file.

Here you could then save a reference waveform of the zoomed area, Export to your references folder and then Import when required for comparisons. (Please keep the voltage and time frames the same between reference waveforms and live waveforms to ensure correct alignment for comparisons)

I would like to confirm this works fine but have now discovered a bug with the "Only save zoomed regions" feature of PicoScope.

I have filed a bug report and will feedback as soon as possible. I will be intrigued to see if this works.

I hope this helps, take care......Steve