misfire detection by engine speed signal.

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
heady2010
OneWave
OneWave

misfire detection by engine speed signal.

Post by heady2010 »

As misfire detection is done by the ecu by monitoring the fluctuations of the engine speed sensor, is it possible to monitor this signal varation yourself using a picoscope?

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: misfire detection by engine speed signal.

Post by Robski »

heady2010 wrote:As misfire detection is done by the ecu by monitoring the fluctuations of the engine speed sensor, is it possible to monitor this signal varation yourself using a picoscope?
Why don't you do a search of the forum for RPM math from the CKP sensor :roll:

OAMSTEVE

Post by OAMSTEVE »

It would be possible to do this, but you would need other metrics, You could measure rotation over time and compare the signal peaks from the ckp to determine that a misfire occurred but it would be time consuming to figure it out. Also you wouldn't know why the misfire occurred. You would also want ignition wave and/or o2 data to support your findings and identify fuel status during the miss. in stead you could use the cylinder balance test in pico diagnostics, or (BETTER) you could scope the ignition. much faster that way, tells you fuel status, plus you can trigger the number 1 cylinder and used the firing order to locate the miss.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

As misfire detection is done by the ecu by monitoring the fluctuations of the engine speed sensor, is it possible to monitor this signal varation yourself using a picoscope?
Grass hopper.

As Robski says, search and ye shall find. I know this has been covered many times. Steve has done a great deal on this as well as Robski, myself and others. But to answer your actual question. - Yes, it is possible. :wink:

HTH
Fat Freddy.

heady2010
OneWave
OneWave

Post by heady2010 »

Ok thanks for the information. My thinking behind this was that I have heard of cases where the crank bearings have worn (without creating excessive knock) causing a fluctuation in the engine speed signal and then making the ecu think there is a misfire, I'm thinking this wouldn't show up on an ignition wave form or a in cylinder preasure transducer?

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

heady2010 wrote:Ok thanks for the information. My thinking behind this was that I have heard of cases where the crank bearings have worn (without creating excessive knock) causing a fluctuation in the engine speed signal and then making the ecu think there is a misfire, I'm thinking this wouldn't show up on an ignition wave form or a in cylinder preasure transducer?
You might find this case interesting:

http://www.picoauto.com/support/topic93 ... ?hilit=bmw

vasek
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by vasek »

Some digital oscilloscopes have such soft.They are very useful because they help to identify difficult cases in the diagnosis of the mechanics of the engine, when the normal gauge or pneumotest useless or difficult to use.