Inlet and exhasut camshaft sensors

Everyone loves a happy ending. Share your diagnostic success stories here.
tangoman
OneWave
OneWave

Inlet and exhasut camshaft sensors

Post by tangoman »

2004 Ford Territory 4WD/AWD 4.00 litre .. I was called out to a work shop last week to check and diagnose this car .I scanned it and came up with a code p0340 inlet camshaft position sensor and p1340 Exhaust camshaft position sensor ? Hard to believe this needed two cam sensors, so I had a look at scan data to see if they where in synchronized with the cam sensors and with scan data it said yes, in sync .. ok so I set up the Pico scope to see what's going on. Because with these two codes were not clearing . this car had two camshaft phases so with out the two camshaft sensors working the ECU did not know where to put the cams and this car was very hard to drive .. The camshaft sensors were just two wire inductive sensors, I needed to see what the ECU was seeing so I set up the scope to have look and at first they both looked ok, and was working great. So then I had a good look at the scope and saw something that did not look right both camshaft have 4 teeth on the end and both are cut the same so I should see the 4 teeth on both the camshafts ! so you guys !! have a good look at the scope see that there is one missing. I had a known good car that I had scoped a few weeks ago. So I was 100% sure that there was something going on with the camshafts.I was not sure yet what the cause was, but I told the work shop to remove camshaft covers and call me when they had the covers off .This car did not need any camshaft sensors or new ECU or didn't have any bad wiring .. They called me be back the next day, and wow I hope you can all see what I can see one camshaft reluctor tooth was missing and one looked a bit bent so the workshop had to remove both camshaft and fit new ones. I scanned the a car a few days later,and cleared all codes and car is all good now this job would had been very hard to diagnose with out a good scope. If you only had a scan tool, you may have put in two new camshaft sensors and maybe a new ECU but the car would not be fixed ..
Attachments
Camshaft in cylinder
Camshaft in cylinder
The two cams with the one reluctor tooth missing
The two cams with the one reluctor tooth missing
Pico scope
Pico scope
Missing reluctor tooth
Missing reluctor tooth
Last edited by tangoman on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Inlet and exhasut camshaft sensors

Post by Steve Smith »

Many thanks Tangoman for posting the information here, along with the images and scope trace, excellent work.

Thank you again for highlighting just how the scopes sits high amongst all the diagnostic tools at our disposal.

Tale care......Steve

sigoaprendiendo
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by sigoaprendiendo »

"Hard to believe this needed two cam sensors, so I had a look at scan data to see if they where in synchronized with the cam sensors and with scan data it said yes, in sync .. ok so I set up the Pico scope to see what's going on. Because with these two codes were not clearing ... "

Hi everybody

Could you tell me please, what do you mean about synchronization with the cam sensor? How do you see that with the scan data? As I can see this is one of the keys to solve this case. What PIDs I have to look for?

Interesting case by the way.

Kind regards
Dario

tangoman
OneWave
OneWave

Post by tangoman »

Yes just have a look at the scan data and your see it was in sync with the crank sorry not in sync with the cam
Attachments
Screenshot (117).png

sigoaprendiendo
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by sigoaprendiendo »

Thanks for sharing this one.
Yes, after this can tool report you are on the ball