jumping readings

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
pandrcars

jumping readings

Post by pandrcars »

ive just downloaded latest scope update, but when iam taking mesaurement reading say checking battery voltage or charge rate my reading go from 0 volts to say 14v and then back to 0volts instead of staying stable

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: jumping readings

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for your enquiry.

I would like to ask you some further questions to help resolve this issue.

Can you confirm if you are using PicoScope or Pico Diagnostics (Battery test)?

If you are using PicoScope, do you have the same issue when measuring battery voltage on other channels?

Can you confirm you have the scope test lead ground cable connected to battery negative?

Do you have any other channels active on your scope and if so what is connected to these channels? (Signal input and probe type. E.g. 20 amp signal via 20/60a current clamp)

Can you confirm if you are using a lap top connected to a power supply, if so can you disconnect the supply to enable the laptop to run on the internal battery alone? Does this cure the issue?

Could you possibly send me the psdata file with the issue apparent? Here I can the look at your results

Sorry for all the questions, I look forward to your feedback, take care……Steve

pandrcars

Post by pandrcars »

hello steve thanks for the reply, yes steve iam just using picoscpoe not the diagnostic battery test, it does it on what ever channel i put it on , and alway have it earth to the car battery , i dont have anything else conected to any other channels, it is a laptop iam using and i have tryed it with power lead on or off dosent make no diffrence , it not just batery voltage no matter what signal iam taking it just seem to jump on the screen will try and send you the psdata , just seems like something whants resetting thanks kevin

Dave Hill
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dave Hill »

Try an alternative USB lead & see how it goes..

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello again and thank you for the feedback.

Could I ask you to download and install the current beta version of our software 6.10.3 http://www.picoauto.com/download-software.html

This may tie up with a symptom I experienced on Friday that sounds almost identical.
The Beta version cured the issue and so I would really appreciate any feedback you can give if this resolves the issue.

Thanks again for your patience, take care.....Steve

pandrcars

Post by pandrcars »

hi steve ive just downloaded the beta version and it looks like it has worked , will try it over the next few day , will keep my other version of pico just in case as when reading about beta it says there could be some problems , thanks again for the help steve , also thans dave for your help