Considering buying the Pico kit.

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
madartsoft

Considering buying the Pico kit.

Post by madartsoft »

Hi,

I'm electronics engineer with good backbround of the automotive electronic systems (designed and developed CAN emulator for Volvo cars) but little knowledge in mechanics. I'm considering buying the Pico kit as I'd like to start my new business in automotive diagnostics. Please give me advice, how the Pico kit can help a person with my knowledge to gain the success?

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Considering buying the Pico kit.

Post by Robski »

It takes more than a scope to start in the diagnostics business I'm afraid.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Good morning and thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. As an electronics engineer your knowledge will be invaluable and we look forward to any input you may have on an array of automotive issues we all have to deal with on a day to day basis.
A good place to start would be to download and install the PicoScope software on your PC and use in "demo mode". This will give you full and complete functionality and allow you to view the "Automotive" help files stored under the AUTOMOTIVE tab. To down load the software please visit, http://www.picoauto.com/download-software.html, where you will also find the minimum PC requirements.
Here you will find complete instructions and how to use the scope and apply numerous measuring techniques to all forms of sensors and actuators. The software does not time out and is continually updated free of charge with new features and help files.
The software is not manufacturer specific as we are measuring signals from components and not communicating with the vehicles on-board diagnostic system.
The PicoScope is an incredibly reliable USB based oscilloscope which is sold the world over and forms part of many vehicle manufacturers’ diagnostic tool kits, accompanying their own dedicated scan tools.
What you get with the PicoScope is a true oscilloscope with no interruptions or modifications to the signals you are measuring, so revealing the signals produced by the vehicle whilst preserving the integrity of the signals for display on your screen
With the signal captured on screen you can then choose to filter accordingly, safe in the knowledge what you have captured is “fact” and not an interpretation of the signal as many combined scan tool/oscilloscopes will have you believe.
For information about the kits we produce and the leads contained in these kits please visit, http://www.picoauto.com/diagnostic-kits.html
Starting out in diagnostics you will also require a dedicated Scan Tool for the vehicles you intend to work with. This can be in the form of a dedicated manufacturer tool or a generic tool. The choice is endless and it may be worth you asking the guys here on the forum what they use and more importantly what they don’t!
I hope this helps and please feedback if you need any further information.
Take care…..Steve

madartsoft

Post by madartsoft »

Hello,

Thank you Steve for introduction.

I totally agree with you Robski that I need more than scope. As I described before I have strong knowledge of the electronics background and software development now it's time to achieve another field 'Automotives'.

Best regards,
Sylvester

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by antthecat »

I wish you all the best but for true automotive diagnosis success a mechanical UPK is a must.

Maybe partner up with a good mechanic whose electrical UPK is not that strong.

A good scantool is a must, this depends on whether you want to work on one or a few brands then dealer level is the way to go (Volvo sounds best for yourself) or if its whatever rolls through the door then a few generic tools are needed so if one tool has holes then the other should cover it. Only issue is VM's are making things more coded so what was a repair and clear codes is now fit part and code it to vehicle which can mean dealer tool only.

As I say all the best with your venture and best of luck.

hijakd
OneWave
OneWave

Post by hijakd »

It's awesome that you have a back ground in electronics,but to go out and diagnose cars is maybe a differant story,nothing beats real world workshop experience 1st then when you competent in that mobile diagnostics is great,also pico is simply an amazing tool,literally takes me 4-5mins to set up cam crank and injector signals on the scope.and then demo software ware is awesome

seang

Post by seang »

Hi madartsoft,

Good on you for wanting to branch out in another field. The posts below (or above) have good advise but don't be disheartened by them. What you may lack in "real world workshop experience" you will make up for it with your existing electronics knowledge. I also know that you will have a logical approach to diagnosing faults and I'm sure you will spend much time researching things you aren't familiar with (probably outside working hours). Read up on the mechanical side of things and if you can find a good mechanic that is willing to offer advice or help even better. Yes experience is key but the only way to get experience is get stuck in and work work work.

Good luck and all the best