WPS500 battery life - throw transducer away?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
PatL
OneWave
OneWave

WPS500 battery life - throw transducer away?

Post by PatL »

The owner's manual for the WPS says to dispose of the transducer when the battery wears out. Can this be true. Throw away a $700 unit when the battery dies?Here is the verbage from the manual.

"The WPS500X contains a lithium polymer (LiPo) battery. When the transducer
reaches the end of its life, take the entire unit to a battery recycling facility."

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: WPS500 battery life - throw transducer away?

Post by Autonerdz »

No worries. The battery can be replaced if you send it in for service. The note in the manual simply is a warning to dispose of the WPS properly when it is garbage because the battery is toxic material.

PhilS
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PhilS »

Thanks Tom - you are quite correct, and we can look at clarifying in the manual (see modified extract below).
Pat - sorry for the confusion caused - we wouldn't want anyone to throw away their Pico product just because of a battery problem.

The batteries inside the WPS500 (and the WPS600 for hydraulic testing), are designed to give a long service life.
For repair or replacement of the battery, simply contact Pico or your distributor to arrange a return - as you would for any repair.

Also please do contact your distributor or support@picotech.com if you have any queries.

Repairs
If the unit is damaged or stops working, or your battery is not charging or holding charge, return it to Pico Technology or an authorized Pico distributor for repair. Do not attempt to dismantle or repair the unit.

Disposal
The WPS500X contains a lithium polymer (LiPo) battery that requires safe disposal.
If your battery has reached the end of its life, you may return the unit for repair.
When the transducer reaches the end of its life, take the entire unit to a battery recycling facility for safe disposal.

PatL
OneWave
OneWave

Post by PatL »

My sense was this would be possible and I reread the manual several times figuring I was misreading it. Wanted to check it out since I am ready to purchase the WPS500 and wanted to confirm it was not some thing weird but true

Thanks for the response and clarification.

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the post, always good to get feedback. I can see why the manual could be confusing, I'll get it updated.

Apologies,
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology