ford focus 2002 high idle, exhaust glows

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
petaus

ford focus 2002 high idle, exhaust glows

Post by petaus »

Hi, guys need a hand with this on.

I have a Australian 2002 ford focus 2.0 lr manual
It revs hold up and wont idle, the exhaust pipes out of the head glow red, no diagnostic codes, have smoke tested can only see a small leak from the idle control valve vent I guess.

Fuel pressure is around 50-60 psi, it feels leak it has a miss fire but runs on all 4,
tps voltage is .94 volts and look likes it never been adjusted, the pcv pipe was replaced last service, blocked hose still the same, I guess it the purge valve on the firewall wall blocked no change.
Any one seen this before?
Thanks pete.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: ford focus 2002 high idle, exhaust glows

Post by Robski »

scope captures ?

petaus

Post by petaus »

Hi, Rob thanks for your reply I am relatively new to the pico and its hard to get hand on training for it here in aus.
I can scope thing but have not yet tried to capture stuff to post on here.
My ford ids scan tool has no subscription at the moment so am using a snap on solus.
it started fine cold ideled around 1200rpm till the throttle is touches then its slow to come back to about 2300 rpm
Here is some scan tool data.
Rpm 2300
Load 25%
maf gm/s 11.7
injector pulse width 5.0 ms
LTFT 3
STFT 1
engine coolant temp 107C
where should I start scoping do you think?
Many thanks pete.

petaus

Post by petaus »

Hi, Rob, I removed the idle control valve and found a twig jammed in it, it must of been moving around jamming it in different positions, remove refitted valve all fixed.
Thanks pete.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

I am relatively new to the pico and its hard to get hand on training for it here in aus.
That is true, training and information is thin on the ground. In the same boat. I fly to NZ for my scope training - AECS (In three weeks on a scan tool coarse in Dunedin, SI). It does work out fairly expensive but you will get a good base for scope set up and understanding engine technology. Toms Auto Nerdz cd's are also a big help. And if you are still floundering, I would suggest paying the extra money to become a full member of AutoNerdz (Other Australians do it).

The resources are there, you just have to look further afield.

HTH
FF

tangoman
OneWave
OneWave

Post by tangoman »

Hi just like to say training in Australian is very good Bosch Australia has got some of the best training you will get they was training us about scopes more then 20 years ago I have a Pico scope myself and all the training I have had using scopes was from Bosch Australia and we was using low current probe more then 20 years ago testing cars with scopes is not new the training is out there but you need to do the work

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Hi just like to say training in Australian is very good Bosch Australia has got some of the best training you will get they was training us about scopes more then 20 years ago I have a Pico scope myself and all the training I have had using scopes was from Bosch Australia and we was using low current probe more then 20 years ago testing cars with scopes is not new the training is out there but you need to do the work
I have considered Bosch when I see it, for sure, and your post is possibly encouraging, but is it based on todays experiences or 20yrs ago?
What was the low current probe you were using? What was the range? I first used a scope about 7 years ago and even in that short period of time techniques and equipment have changed quite a bit.

What scope does Bosch use during their training? Just had a quick look at a KTS flyer and it's 1MSsec, no mention of buffer size.
Anybody else have any experience in Bosch scope training? It may save me some money yet tangoman :wink: .

FF

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi Pete,

Glad you fixed the problem.

If training is difficult to find locally have you worked you way through all the videos, tutorials & case studies here http://www.picoauto.com/automotive-library.html

Regards
Alan

tangoman
OneWave
OneWave

Post by tangoman »

Bosch was using the FSA 560 back then lots of money not sure how much i don't work for a Bosch service central any more you have to work for Bosch to do most of there training... i use my Pico scope everyday its very easy to use ... but using a scope 20 years ago is no difference then using one today in fact i really can't see anything new in testing sensors only its a lot easy today because we have better scopes and now we have scan tool