delayed start ignition

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
coachone

delayed start ignition

Post by coachone »

Hi My Toyota Tundra has developed a delayed start. Upon starting the vehicle it cranks continuously on its own before struggling to eventually start. What kind of pico  test investigation should I do?

Many thanks
George
Convoy Manager

valiantman

Re: delayed start ignition

Post by valiantman »

I wouldn't break out the pico - yet. First I'd have a good scantool hooked up & look at data PIDs for any abnormalities such as temperature sensor readings, good rpm while cranking, IAC/ throttle control, fueltrims once in closed loop, etc. Does this truck run normally once it starts?

Hard start is similar to no-start. You gotta have enough air/compression, fuel, & spark- all at the correct time. You need some indicator to give diagnostic direction before doing scope-work. About the only general test I'd do is to load test the battery- possibly use your scope to look at battery voltage while cranking (is relative compression even?).

coachone

Re: delayed start ignition

Post by coachone »

Hello Valiantman, thank you so much, would be carrying out the recommended test and get back to you. Yes it runs normally but the engine has gone off whiles driving on two ocassions. We had to park for a while before it started again