Latest RC

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Latest RC

Post by Robski »

When is this going to end ?

I have just spent nearly an hour trying to save a cropped PSD file to memory stick & every time it has crashed the software & re-opened Pico software, then when trying to open the file from memory stick it's corrupt.

I've got to admit now i am getting mighty pissed off with the updates/software, before any thing is said it never did this with the previous version i had installed so my PC cannot be blamed.

I have spoke to a few Pico users & the consensus is the same that updating is like rolling a dice & you never know what you're going to get & causes downtime & grief sorting it out.

Why on earth isn't it tested more before release ?

I have been looking into a Tiepie automotive scope as it's been annoying me now for a while........... on this subject can i ask ...............

Do you intend graphing duty cycle like Tiepie do & adding RPM & CAN decoding specific to sensor info (like Tiepie) etc, i need to make a decision ?

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Why don't you use stable version?

RC is still almost beta so you cannot expect that it's completely stable.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

volrem wrote:Why don't you use stable version?

RC is still almost beta so you cannot expect that it's completely stable.
Because this RC has the phase markers that were advertised in the last case study.

If i went back that early to 6.7.4 (iirc) then channel labels will be gone too ! how far back am i supposed to go ???

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Robski,

By cropped psdata file, I assume you mean certain buffers out of a larger capture. That's odd, because I am not aware of anyone else having that issue. I am using the 6.8.6.9 RC and my channel labels are in color too...But we have another PC that is not color.

Keep in mind that Pico releases the beta and RC versions to flush out things like this that may appear they didn't see on their PCs and didn't anticipate (lots of variables out there). By using these, you are helping to find that stuff. We have entire threads on our forums dedicated to each build where our members just tear them apart and try to break stuff, make crash reports, etc. This makes the release builds better.

My advice for you would be to go back to a release you were happy with and then install the 6.8.6.9 beta. It's the same version as the RC (first time ever) and then you can use the one you choose.

As for Tiepie....I think that would take you into a world that would make issues here seem like nothing. :evil:

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

I have both versions installed. I know faults that make beta crash and avoid it. If I need then I use stable.

I usually use beta so that I can make it better by reporting found issues. It's a two way thing.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Tom

Thanks for the reply, yes i mean certain buffers from a larger capture.

In the case of going back to a version i was happy with i would if the RC did not install over it, i would have to install said version again & would this install over the RC version ?

I get fed up of losing files/time arsing about with it.

In my opinion an update is a better version with added extras like the phase markers & bugs ironed out, but as i said earlier there's always a price to pay in another part of the software, it gets frustrating.Probably safer rolling back to Picoscope 5 software :?

Cheers again Tom.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

volrem wrote:I have both versions installed. I know faults that make beta crash and avoid it. If I need then I use stable.

I usually use beta so that I can make it better by reporting found issues. It's a two way thing.
Mate i just want one version not two, that works & does what it says on the tin, i am far too busy to be beta testing software.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

In the case of going back to a version i was happy with i would if the RC did not install over it, i would have to install said version again & would this install over the RC version ?
Robski,

The beta install does not affect a release install. They both can live on the same PC and they are separate. Separate probe library, separate everything. So...you can go back to a release you are comfortable with and then install the 6.8.6.9 beta instead of the 6.8.6.9 RC. Then you will have the best of both worlds with reduced frustration and still be able to explore and use the new one as you see fit.

A beta overwrites a beta and a release or release candidate overwrites a release or RC version.

If there is a certain build you want you can't find, email me and I can hook you up. I have them all. :shock:
Last edited by Autonerdz on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

Then use only current stable version.

If you want latest features then you have to live with possible bugs. That just is part of software world.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

volrem wrote:Then use only current stable version.

If you want latest features then you have to live with possible bugs. That just is part of software world.
Not in my world mate !

I bought the 'best of the best' & this is what i expect, i don't expect to still be using old software because new is no good.