Nissan Primastar info request

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
WT Somerset

Nissan Primastar info request

Post by WT Somerset »

Hi all, 1st post here, love the tech topics here.
I'm after a waveform for Cam/Crank sync for a Nissan Primastar 2.0 DCi (not 1.9 F9Q) 2007. 80,000m Similar to Vauxhal Vivaro, Renault Master etc. The door plate shows a FL0M sticker?

The vehicle in question has just come in with poor running,P0340 code (Cam Signal), limp mode and induction noisy(like no air filter fitted). Sound like a timing issue.

Vehicle hasn't been tampered with prior, and has recently developed a p0340 cam signal fault. witch records after the engine has cranked for a couple sec's.
I've scoped the cam sensor at ecu, all good, nice clean signal and would appreciate if anyone here had a record of a waveform with crank before I attack the probable slack chain.
Keep up the good work,

Kind Regards,
Wayne :D

WT Somerset

Re: Nissan Primastar info request

Post by WT Somerset »

With no good waveforms available before we stripped, had to be timing, found chain jumped crank timing gear one tooth. Lucky save! No damage.If I have time, I'll scope the good'un.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

That would be appreciated.

Do you have any capture's, during an extended crank? I'm interested in the Cam sensor output and the logged P0340.

Thanks
FF

WT Somerset

Post by WT Somerset »

Sorry, no recorded cam capture as yet other than when we checked for good signal at ecu. (Pull down from 12v). Timing cover off ti'll after Christmas awaiting chain / sprocket kit. I'm out on the road most of the time supporting heavy goods vehicle systems so when back in workshop I have limited time to play and test.

WT Somerset

Post by WT Somerset »

To close this thread, the lads that have been working on my off days over Christmas have put this van back together, the chain was stretched, jumped two teeth! And the tensioner was out 3/4 travel compared to the new one at a 1/4 protrusion. We bought the correct timing kit to set up the marks as I no doubt will be seeing another.
The motor started immediately, sweet as a diesel can be, with no Mil light and without the droning obvious induction blowback. Van is back with customer so didn't get chance to record any further. The ecu was logging P0340 because it couldn't see the signal from cam when it expected it, not because it was corrupt or shorted. I believe there was no DTC for phase / timing. So there we go!
I think this 2.0 Ltr motor is in the Quashqui? Among others. I duuno.
Thanks for reading. Happy New Year
Wayne

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

The ecu was logging P0340 because it couldn't see the signal from cam when it expected it,
I agree but disagree. I need to see a couple more of these Nissan P0340 stretched chains during crank.
But thanks for closing this thread