2007 vauxaull vectra 1.9 dth poor starting

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
LEGACY7770
OneWave
OneWave

2007 vauxaull vectra 1.9 dth poor starting

Post by LEGACY7770 »

Hello all. had a look at the above car this morning owner said that the car cranked over and over before it will start. Checked the dtc's and came up with a P0380-08 glow plug circuit A problem. I thought the glow plugs on these only came in at minus 5 degrees.
Starting to think that it may be fuel running back overnight an air leak perhaps???
any help will be appreciated.

steve

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: 2007 vauxaull vectra 1.9 dth poor starting

Post by Robski »

Plenty of live data to look at when in none start,report back with some ;)

Glow plugs not needed unless your brass monkies nuts have froze off !

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

Does starter sound like its spinning quick enough? Had a few of these needing starters for poor starting, maybe worth seeing what kind of rpm speed you have?

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Neilcur wrote:Does starter sound like its spinning quick enough? Had a few of these needing starters for poor starting, maybe worth seeing what kind of rpm speed you have?

I 2nd this, fixed 2 eight valve ones with new starters. Although a cam crank waveform would be nice for future reference. I have a z19dt one from my vantage pro if you want me to post it.

LEGACY7770
OneWave
OneWave

Post by LEGACY7770 »

Yes mate if you can do that it would be great. I've a vantage pro how do you post them up. :D

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Ok here is the waveform from a z19dt...

I have it saved on the VP and I do believe you can transfer it to a PC for uploading etc but I simply took a picture with my phone :wink:

As you probably know the 8 valves can suffer from the woodruff key been damaged which can flag camsensor codes... I have also seen this on the 16v but has flagged no dtcs.

Would be interesting to see if the 16v has the same waveform?

The starter fixed the poor starting on this vectra although I don't have any RPM data, you good hear it spinning over a lot faster.

Maybe getting your amp clamp around each glow plug and checking them as well. On the data list they will still be active after startup for a short time even on a mild day.

Hope that helps

obd.tech

Post by obd.tech »

Hi Guy's,
Hope this helps someone, i have a non start Zafira that i had a hunch on what the fault is. Third hand job :wink: from another 'man in overalls' .....can i check for fuel leak off.....of course that's fine :)
P0340 DTC returns once cranked over, i find out new part already fitted (parts darts!......so can't be that :roll: ) ....so, time for real diagnosis and not guesswork (like most round my way, that give the real pro trade a bad reputation)

Can you guys see what i think is the fault on this vehicle from my 'Crank & Cam capture @ cranking'......i'm fairly sure the phase error is stopping injection. Deffo difference to GRUSS's pattern :wink:
VAUX ZAFIRA 1.9CDTI 2007 CRANK & CAM SENSORS.psdata
(120.47 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times
I'm still a newbie with the Pico, but its enabled me to 'diagnose' some unfixable faults without guesswork so far.
Shame we are not rewarded in this trade.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Does not look right.

Personally I would have stabbed the other crank sensor wire. Also the cam signal looks wrong - -5V and the rising voltages. Are you correctly hooked to gnd. Also more time on the screen is advisable.

Are you sure injection is not occurring ????

HTH
FF

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

why are you AC coupled on CHA/B ???
More time on screen & throw inj current in .....

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

why are you AC coupled on CHA/B ???
That too. Where's my glasses :shock: