Hi from Auckland NZ

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
sudtyrol

Hi from Auckland NZ

Post by sudtyrol »

Thanks Pico - having lots of fun and learning lots. Couple of querries, hope you can answer - excuse their basic nature.
1. How can I display sec. ignition wave forms in a parade display?
2. How do you increase the buffer to a longer period than 32? For example, if I am on a 5ms/div time base, I am only going to be able to save or see the last 10-15seconds of the wave form. If I increase the time base to 30s/div and go for a drive, I get a longer capture but zooming in renders a v.poor waveform, all resolution is lost.
Rgds Angelo.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Hi from Auckland NZ

Post by Robski »

1: it's already displayed as a parade, do you mean rasta ?
2: adjust your sample, secondary sample interval needs to be 1us.

sudtyrol

Post by sudtyrol »

No, I mean like the old tune scope display with cylinders 1234 fixed across the screen from left to right. To give you an example, I had a Honda Odyssey with a misfire which turned out to be a faulty injector. It had four leads but no king lead as coil and igniter are in the distributor. I hooked up 4 secondary ignition pickups and used the automotive tool menu - ignition- distributor - secondary... The result was, if I deciphered it correctly, four wave forms superimposed on each other. I couldn't find a way to have all four on the screen along side each other. I assume if their was a king lead, I would use a single channel and get what I wanted but that was not possible. Having them along side each other, I could then snap the throttle and see the spark lines - the faulty injector would have stuck out.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

I couldn't find a way to have all four on the screen along side each other.
along side of each other ??

If you don't want them on top of each other then rearrange the channels so you have 4X separate traces, and forget the automotive set ups for a kick off & start setting the scope up yourself !

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

if I deciphered it correctly, four wave forms superimposed on each other.
I'm not sure that is correct. If you used the tool menu as is. You would only see the pattern on channel A which has the trigger. The time base is to short to see the other events happening on the other channels. As Robski has pointed out, the tool menu can be misleading.

Also it's best if you post up the file so it's easier to understand.

HTH
FF

sudtyrol

Post by sudtyrol »

Thanks for the input. Have taken your advice and played with my own set ups rather than the automotive tool.