not reading data

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
mphbaker

not reading data

Post by mphbaker »

scope doesn't show any readings when using the large current clamp. tried scoping starter current. and today tried scoping wheel speed sensor just probing connector and again nothing. changed time, zoomed in and out, tried different voltage ranges. just shows that its sampling.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: not reading data

Post by Robski »

post the file if you saved it let's have a looksy ??

Chris_W
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Chris_W »

mphbaker wrote:scope doesn't show any readings when using the large current clamp... ....tried different voltage ranges. just shows that its sampling.
I am far from being an expert, and it could just be the way the post is worded, but Current Clamp and Voltage range? Did you tell the software that it was an Amp clamp and not a standard lead?

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

I am far from being an expert, and it could just be the way the post is worded, but Current Clamp and Voltage range? Did you tell the software that it was an Amp clamp and not a standard lead?
No matter as long as the correct voltage scale & coupling is set, the clamp converts mV to Amps scaling, so a 1V scale would be 1000A .

Chris_W
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Chris_W »

Told you I was no expert... :oops:

mphbaker

Post by mphbaker »

yeah I meant amps sorry ha. and I didn't save anything but ill try and scope starter current again tomorrow and post whatever I get. I had the settings right, at least I think, and I even had it automatically set me up for starter current and wheel speed sensor from the automotive drop down menu. tried different channels and messing with all the settings and just shows that its sampling. Also none of the pico-diagnostics work for me. I have successfully scoped secondary ignition and multiple fuel pumps. I have had the scope for a couple months and haven't had to use it much. the frustration its been bringing me is deterring me from using it though because I usually lose money trying to get it to work.

mphbaker

Post by mphbaker »

ok got a reading this time. just had the software set me up automatically for starter current and battery voltage. doesn't look right to me. last time I used a picoscope was over a year ago so I really need a refresher.
Attachments
mercury grand marquis starter current and battery voltage..psdata
(347.19 KiB) Downloaded 726 times

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

mphbaker wrote:ok got a reading this time. just had the software set me up automatically for starter current and battery voltage. doesn't look right to me. last time I used a picoscope was over a year ago so I really need a refresher.
Flip your current clamp around :wink:

Tom Roberts
http://www.autonerdz.com/

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Autonerdz wrote:
mphbaker wrote:ok got a reading this time. just had the software set me up automatically for starter current and battery voltage. doesn't look right to me. last time I used a picoscope was over a year ago so I really need a refresher.
Flip your current clamp around :wink:

Tom Roberts
http://www.autonerdz.com/
Yup that'd help ....... :roll:

Observe the arrow in the jaws compared with current flow !