Noise Audible measurement.

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Jaycon

Noise Audible measurement.

Post by Jaycon »

Is it possible to measure noise/vibration with the automotive scope using accessories or with the standard kit, something like an electronic stethoscope might do to pin point noise location thanks.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Noise Audible measurement.

Post by Fat Freddy »

What sort of noise/vibration?
using accessories
Chassis ears? Piezo transducers?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi Jaycon, at present we do manufacture an NVH kit (Noise Vibration and Harshness) for use with OEM's (Original equipment manufacturers) with specific software for their vehicles.

However during early 2014 this will be released to the Aftermarket as an extension to the Pico Diagnostics platform which will give you Battery-Starting-Charging/Relative Compression/Cylinder Balance, and then NVH.

I do not have any prices as yet but please watch the newsletter and website for further information.

There are, I am sure, BNC mic's and accelerometers on the market that can be linked via an interface into a scope but do require interpretation in relation to the noise/vibration applied. NVH really is another world and as ever training is the key. I have only touched on this subject in brief in my previous role and will soon be booked on a dedicated training course where I hope to pass some of this knowledge on.

Take care.......Steve

Jaycon

Post by Jaycon »

Hi guys thanks for reply, I had received information there was an add on for the automotive scope but couldn't find any info about such to date, I had a look at the chassis ear and was considering a purchase. I think I will hold off and review the complete pico kit when it becomes available next year, thanks again Freddie and Steve.

northfieldauto

Post by northfieldauto »

Yes, possible. Try piezo sensors, or Stelmans chasiss ear, or Diesel RPM pick up.
The key is interpretation of the data. Piston pin knock, valvetrain noise, or chain slap. It varies on engine to engine due to design and failures. Also there is error from sensor to sensor.
I gathered some data and can ID some failures, but it is a wide area to cover.
Usefull on 3V Ford engines to distinguish chain failures, monitoring Injector pintle opening on high pressures common rail. Valve train noise indentification. Confirming solenoid operation without electrical hook up.
etc.
If people are interested I can post some interesting case studies.

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

If people are interested I can post some interesting case studies.
Go for Gold pal :mrgreen: