Vauxhall ABS Sensor

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Peter704070
OneWave
OneWave

Vauxhall ABS Sensor

Post by Peter704070 »

Hello I work as a college lecturer and regularly make training rigs to use in class. I recently made an inductive ABS sensor rig which is brilliant for using in class.

We got given some parts from a 2011 Astra so I built another rig. These have the latest sensors on them so I knew I had to wire it up to the ABS ECU. It looks brilliant - but won't work as I didn't check the wiring diagram. The ECU has two lives to it but to 'switch it on' it must use a CAN signal.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could get this ABS circuit to work throught the ECU, the rig has the disc fitted so we can spin the wheel but its no good without getting a pattern.

Any help would be great. Thanks Pete.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Vauxhall ABS Sensor

Post by Alan »

Not in the office to check, but I think these ABS sensors are the magneto resistive type (anyone care to confirm?).

If so then they will be similar to http://sensing.honeywell.com/product%20page?pr_id=31215 and it might be easier to power them with 5V or 12V rather than use the ECU.

There are a couple of ways of measuring these - they switch from 5ma to 15ma. You can use the 20A current clamp, but due to the small current loop the wire through the jaws of the clamp 10 times (effectively measuring 50mA to 150mA).

The other option is to supply them with 12V through a small resistor on the ground side. 100 ohms will create either a 0.5V or 1.5V voltage drop as the sensor switches.

Peter704070
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Peter704070 »

Hello

Thanks for the information - will have a go this week, just a couple more questions, do you think it matters which wire I use for the live to the sensor or should I try and find out from Vauxhall (Autodata doesn't say which wire is which)

If I wire a 12v supply to the sensor and on the return earth wire, wire in a 100 ohm resistor (what wattage do you think) Do I then need to measure the voltage drop across like a coolant temp sensor and the ECU sensing it or can I just put the red pin from the volt meter on the earth return and the black volt meter wire to earth, would I then see the voltage change, I actually plan to use a scope but want to test it the same was as you would in industry.

Thanks
Pete

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Thanks for the information - will have a go this week, just a couple more questions, do you think it matters which wire I use for the live to the sensor or should I try and find out from Vauxhall (Autodata doesn't say which wire is which)
Yes I do. Some are stamped on the body.
wire in a 100 ohm resistor (what wattage do you think)
The specs given are up 16 volts and less than 20mA supply.

Have a play and post up the results. :D

FF

Peter704070
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Peter704070 »

Hello I will definitely put pictures up once ive got it working. I will set it all up tomorrow. Can I just check what would happen to the sensor if I wired the live and earth the wrong way round. Do I risk damaging it. I'm struggling to find out which wire should be live and whic should be earth. Thanks for all your help it's greatly appreciated.