Alfa 159 2.4JTD stall

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
modo
OneWave
OneWave

Alfa 159 2.4JTD stall

Post by modo »

I have a 2008 159JTDM 2.4 eng code: 939a3000 with 38,000kms come on the back of a truck this morning with a start stall fault the only codes I got was P0380 preheating unit control & p0683 preheating control unit [feedback] also some abs codes but the I think that was because the battery had gone flat because the tow truck driver left the fob in. The breakdown patrol unit had recorded egr codes but I only got the glow plug codes. I checked the glow plugs and found the PCM was turning them all on with my scanner and using the amp clamp all around the same amperage . Pulled the egr valve off to clean it and it wasn,t that bad and checked operation an found working. Checked the throttle and found some oil and sludge and carbon all the usual but not too bad tried to start it with these things off and it fired up and ran had some problem revving up at first but came ok after a few snaps.I think I have a build up problem do these things need the whole inlet manifold pulled of and cleaned to rectify this problem. I had a Holden Rodeo [ Isuzu 4WD product] common rail that came in a few years ago with a no start and only compression on 1 cylinder and we had to pull the head off, it was all carbon up cleaned everything new gaskets head done up and asked if there was a problem with the head, and it was all good except for carbon a new VRS and it fired up perfectly. Still new to these small common rail diesel cars here any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks Dom

mteste03
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Alfa 159 2.4JTD stall

Post by mteste03 »

Hi,

Are you saying it runs with those bits removed but not when you refit them?

If that's the case is the throttle flap working ok?

Matt

modo
OneWave
OneWave

Post by modo »

Thanks Mat for your reply the throttle plate is always in the fully open position when idling can't see the running part, on my own here but am assuming it is open when running.The scanner can open and close it. [With the EGR off and my hand over the exhaust inlet pipe it still runs ok.] I pulled the EGR valve off again and found a bit of rubbish caught under the pintle. I started it up and bolted the EGR and throttle body hose back on and it runs and revs up well but very smokey especially when idling. At idle it has 4% EGR up to around 10% then it pulls up to 40-65% at cruise and shuts off at WOT and decel witch I think could be correct. I still think I will pull the inlet manifold off and clean it. The other concern is that my DPF blockage rate is 40% I'm thinking this is too high ,I may do a regen before the a service. I have most of my injector around -1.2 but cyl 3 is plus 1.27
Still new to us here but there are more of these things come over so need to know more not going away fast. Just more technical but no excuses.
Thanks Dom

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Hi

In the same position with CRD. Only just coming through, no tech info and not much in the way of coarses.

Not to sure if I understand your question correctly. But in my understanding (I could be wrong).
The throttle plate only works under certain conditions start up - to reduce the amount of air being compressed, shut down - to reduce delta 'n'(?) which is the speed up and slow down of the crank during shut down - reduce vibration, also to increase manifold vacuum to aid EGR flow. Probaly many other conditions I'm not aware of.

As for cleaning the manifolds, I would say yes. Toyota with their EGR problems on the SR5 Hilux is new manifolds and plumbing including EGR cooler (which, I am told, is redesigned) if still under warrenty. If out of warrenty, a clean of manifold is offered - no guarentee's.
This will also apply to the SIDI which is apparently based on Mitsubushi's GDI which uses huge amount of EGR - bad combustion (bad ignition) leads to massive deposits in the intake tract that interupts swirl of the incoming air into the chamber that makes for more poor combustion.

As I said, this is only my understanding and limited experiance.

HTH
FF

modo
OneWave
OneWave

Post by modo »

Thanks Feddy, to pull this manifold off looks like a major job. I cleaned out as much carbon out as I could where the tb bolts up to the manifold there looks like there is some type of swirl chamber that the egr must follow in and it was completely blocked so I cleaned the best I could{ bloke wants it fixed but doesn't want to pay so doing minimum only] it does start but long crank and slight miss and sometime stalls only when cold or left to sit for a few hours. If it was a petrol I would swear the injectors are leaking but when left to idle its all good did a regen and have changed the oil and filter smoked the intake for air leaks and all seem tight just covering all my bases I was told we have the worst fuel here which doesn't help I have a gut feeling this has 1 or more injectors leaking, the blokes retired and doesn't drive too far which wouldn't help either.
Thanks again Dom

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

bloke wants it fixed but doesn't want to pay
Oh yes! That ol chestnut. Not a lot you can do there?
Perhaps he should buy a Corrolla. Oh hang on, I've got a old AE92 that will fit his budget. :D

FF

modo
OneWave
OneWave

Post by modo »

Must be a world wide problem that we're all dumb crooks expected to do it for free or pay them for the privilege of working on their cars. :mrgreen:
Dom