Will multiple connectors reduce signal quality?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Will multiple connectors reduce signal quality?

Post by Avdr »

I'm changing the layout of my diagnostic cart. My idea is to use BNC bulkhead connectors on the outside of the metal work of the trolley, with short (12") flying leads back to the picoscope.

I also have some 5m RG58 extension leads, BNC-m to BNC-f which are handy for when cars are up in the air. Potentially there could be 3 connections in use per channel, is it likely to be detrimental?

Also should the bulkhead connectors be isolated from one another, the trolley is bare aluminium?

Thanks

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Will multiple connectors reduce signal quality?

Post by Fat Freddy »

My idea is to use BNC bulkhead connectors on the outside of the metal work of the trolley, with short (12") flying leads back to the picoscope.
That's pretty well the set up I use. Although I'm going through a ply wood wall (case). No problems.

I did have a recent issue with the 'bulkhead' connectors starting to fall apart. A quick change and happy days.

HTH
FF.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Will multiple connectors reduce signal quality?

Post by Alan »

Hi,

As long as the connectors and cables are of good quality there should be no problems with noise pickup.

The extra length of the cables may however slightly effect the input capacitance at the probe tip so reduce the bandwidth. I would not use this approach for CAN bus or FlexRAY signals - if you use the 10/1 scope probe do not use this at the end of an extension lead. The 20 to 1 attenuator is also better if plugged it right at the scope.

Regards
Alan