2008 Vauxhall Vivaro piezo injector currents

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 2008 Vauxhall Vivaro piezo injector currents

Post by Fat Freddy »

ie using bigger words
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did someone mention "umberella"?

Darren Cotton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Darren Cotton »

Robski wrote:Are you the same Valhalla from a certain forum regarding a well moaned about scan tool (on there) ?

I ask because you seem to type in a totally different language on here, ie using bigger words :?
Is this the same forum that Bill & Ben are on.......... :shock:

Darren

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Is this the same forum that Bill & Ben are on..........
haha i nearly fell off my chair............. that would be the one :lol:

Valhalla
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Valhalla »

Yes, the same...

The well moaned about scan tool continues to amaze - not very much. It seems it shares several traits with other Chinese clones of european scan tools, in that neither it nor the Chinese OP COM can communicate with a 2008 Vivaro van, not one running an F9Q engine, without throwing out useless live block data. Hence I reverted to using the Picoscope on this job as the main tool. Doesn't help with trying to tell the Bosch EDC controller that there is a new injector in cylinder 1. So I'm off for an evening run in the damn thing, see if that clears things up. Then maybe I'll speak with one of the mainstream suppliers about Vaux-Com.

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Make sure you remove the full scuttle panel and reseal it other wise water will just fill the cylinder head back up.
I've also PM'ed you about programming the injector

Valhalla
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Valhalla »

GRUSS wrote:Make sure you remove the full scuttle panel and reseal it other wise water will just fill the cylinder head back up.
I've also PM'ed you about programming the injector
Thanks, PM responded.

What I have also done with the plastic cam cover is to run a bead of silicon grease around the rubber seal/s and grommets for pipes/harnesses. I'm going for a belt-and-braces approach. Scuttle doesn't seem to have a drain anywhere on the bonnet edge, so does the water then have to run back to the corners of the bonnet and out there? I was a bit worried about dropping water down over the harness near the flywheel end of the head, given that I have repaired and unrepaired this bit so many times to measure injector currents... :roll:

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

You have to remove the plastic scuttle, wiper linkage and heater box then finally unbolt the metal part of the scuttle. Behind that is a very rubbish foam seal which lets water pass straight through. If you cover the engine and pour water on the screen you'll probably see where it's leaking through.

I've had others where the screen has been replaced and bolts have not been refitted and seals cut. When the early vans were in warranty you had to check the screen make and if it was different the customer had to provide proof why etc otherwise it was declined warranty!

It's about an hours job but will save the van for the future.

Good luck

Edit..
There are also 2 rubber drains on either side which become either detached or badly blocked. on the whole it's a pretty poor idea but its French remember!
Thee still have issues on the new vans and they've gone back to Bosch Injectors which are even worse to pull once seized!

Valhalla
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Valhalla »

Well, the long story cut short is that the van came back, it transpires it really is an M9R (not F9Q), the other injector at the O/S of the engine bay was also knackered (as per previous multimeter resistance measurements) and that took a week to pull. All work done previously on this van (before I saw it) was done incorrectly, and this meant that the injector coding was wrong for some time whilst the van was being used for two years since its first injector change (on cyl.4 over the flywheel). I now know that the main cause of problems for my interface with the EDC16 CP33 controller (not EDC15) was due to the Autel DS708 - it basically treats the van as an F9Q engined vehicle. I suspect that the previous repairer had the same problem. Tech2 and VauxCom both deal with the engine config and injector coding faultlessly.

Everything is now fixed, and the suggestions from GRUSS regarding the primary cause of failure (in the design of the screen decker rail seal) were absolutely bang-on. The seal was totally inept (anything else would not befit Renault's reputation for "Va Va Doom") and was directing all of the windscreen run-off straight over the engine at Cyl.4 (flywheel end) and under the cam-cover. So a new arrangement has been devised, and hopefully the van will give many years of good service now that some of its design faults have been tackled!