Hello from New Zealand

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
brett nz
OneWave
OneWave

Hello from New Zealand

Post by brett nz »

Hi to all out there. Im from Fairlie a tiny town in the Mackenzie Country, central south island. Small 3 man busy workshop working on everthing from lawnmowers, bikes and irrigation pumps to common rail diesels and high spec European cars. I personally have been in the industry since doing my apprenticeship in 2006. The other 2 guys in shop are over 60 and the most high tech tool they had before i arrived was probably the 15year old pc they had for doing WOFs. Have had a hannatech scan tool for a while now but when things got tough we just had to send work out to our nearest auto sparky with a scope. This is in another town 45 minutes away! So the time has come and we have invested in a 2 channel Tiepie 500xm. I am very green and feeling my way into it at the moment. Captured a few 02 patterns but having trouble getting the right settings (sample/frequency etc) to get something i can make sense of. Had a little play with relative compression and crank signal.

Really keen to learn and spending hours at home reading everything i can that will help me get it working.

Look forward to meeting a few of you and having a chat.

Bye for now

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Hello from New Zealand

Post by Martyn »

Hi, There are some helpful people on the forums so you may get some assistance here , although it would have been easier if you had purchased a Picoscope and not one from our competitor :( , sharing waveforms and settings are much easier with Picoscope 6 :)
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Brett,

I've seen your captures on the nerdz forum & keen to see some more.

Just read up on the scope you have, i like the sound of combining scopes & keeping the same time base 8)

Is it 'Tiepie' that also do the CR leak off monitoring kit ??

RE the relative comp wf, use a sync be it primary/coil trigger/secondary, CR injector firing current & work out from the firing order the defective cylinder, but remember this is just a quick test & does not tell all regarding compression's.

brett nz
OneWave
OneWave

Post by brett nz »

Martyn wrote:Hi, There are some helpful people on the forums so you may get some assistance here , although it would have been easier if you had purchased a Picoscope and not one from our competitor :( , sharing waveforms and settings are much easier with Picoscope 6 :)

Hi Martyn, I had never heard of pico or tiepie for that matter. Did some great training with a dutch guy here in south island who makes up scope packages and has good support (i think and hope about support) as options here are pretty limited. But hey at least im scoping something.
Robski wrote:Brett,

I've seen your captures on the nerdz forum & keen to see some more.

Just read up on the scope you have, i like the sound of combining scopes & keeping the same time base 8)

Is it 'Tiepie' that also do the CR leak off monitoring kit ??

RE the relative comp wf, use a sync be it primary/coil trigger/secondary, CR injector firing current & work out from the firing order the defective cylinder, but remember this is just a quick test & does not tell all regarding compression's.
Hi Robski, not sure about the CR leak off monitoring kit. My kit is a bit of a starter kit i think. Has signal generator, couple of currant clamps and a G sensor. That was about all the extras i could afford for now. Once i get this stuff sorted i could look at other bits. Busting a gut to get trying some more patterns but i have all this annoying other stuff to do. Remember those damn spanners etc! Need to work twice as fast so i can play with scope.

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Hi Brett,

Provided you can live with some people poking a bit of fun at you for buying the "wrong scope" then you will find this a friendly & helpful place.

To be honest as with most tools its the skills / experience of the person using them that is at least as important as the tool itself.

Regards
Alan

brett nz
OneWave
OneWave

Post by brett nz »

alan wrote:Hi Brett,

Provided you can live with some people poking a bit of fun at you for buying the "wrong scope" then you will find this a friendly & helpful place.

To be honest as with most tools its the skills / experience of the person using them that is at least as important as the tool itself.

Regards
Alan
Cheers Alan, yeah well it is what it is. Got to be better than what i had!

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Hi Brett.
Did some great training with a dutch guy here in south island who makes up scope packages and has good support (i think and hope about support) as options here are pretty limited.
That will be Herbert.

What coarses have you done?

FF

brett nz
OneWave
OneWave

Post by brett nz »

Fat Freddy wrote:Hi Brett.
Did some great training with a dutch guy here in south island who makes up scope packages and has good support (i think and hope about support) as options here are pretty limited.
That will be Herbert.

What coarses have you done?

FF
i have done AED, SCAN1 and EMS1-1. Looking forward to doing the scope one and rest of EMS and like to do the diesel ones too? Have you done some with him?

brett nz
OneWave
OneWave

Post by brett nz »

So your here in NZ to? Where?

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

i have done AED, SCAN1 and EMS1-1. Looking forward to doing the scope one and rest of EMS and like to do the diesel ones too? Have you done some with him?
Yes. Done all his scope coarse's, apart from the latest (this year), but I started about seven years ago. Herbert has always been helpfull.
They're good coarses. Some good info on diesel, hybrid and direct injection. Makes your head spin.

The scope coarse will be a good help. Once you know how to get a decent set up, you're half way there.

FF