pico log 12/16 bookmark on the fly

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Tony C

pico log 12/16 bookmark on the fly

Post by Tony C »

Hi all, I am a newbie to pico osscilloscope'n ,I have a small automatic transmission repair business in Auckland ,New Zealand.established 27 years, hope this isn't a silly question...
Can anyone help with creating a bookmark or "flag" during a recording (on the fly) to assist in identifying ''events" during later analysis? is it possible to do this using the laptops keyboard.I am often looking at the timing of solenoids applying and releasing with each other to ascertain whether shift concerns relate to comand issues or actuator faults and have not found a suitable method of using the trigger function regards Tony

arjen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: pico log 12/16 bookmark on the fly

Post by arjen »

As far as i know there is no option for this. I use a self made trigger button, connected to the 12 volt plug. The only problem might be that there are only 3 channels left when using a trigger button.

Tony C

Post by Tony C »

Thanks Arjen, will set one up for future use, regards TC

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

I believe the use of a MASK may help in this situation? You can set up a defined area for the trace and when the trace goes outside of that range itcan alarm, or save, or you can simply navigate through the waveform buffer?

Here is a extract from a work in progress document I am working on:
Mask Testing
Mask limit testing is a feature that indicates if a signal goes outside a specified area, called a mask. PicoScope can draw the mask automatically by tracing a captured signal. Mask limit testing is useful for spotting intermittent errors or errors of specific value.

Masks can be found by going into Tools-> Masks and then Add Mask.

The next screen that appears is the “Mask Library”. First select the appropriate channel and then click the “Generate” button. This will bring up a window where the name of the mask can be defined and how much clearance in the X and Y directions is required by using the up and down arrows or typing in a specific value.

The adjustments can also be made in % by clicking the SI button and can be changed back to SI units by clicking the % button.

Once the appropriate settings are defined, click on the Generate button. The mask will appear in the list under Library.

Highlighting the mask and clicking on Apply will apply the mask to the view.

The measurements appear at the bottom giving the number of mask failures along with some other statistics.

The mask failures can be searched through in the waveform buffer. However, with a large number of waveforms, it can be difficult to search through.

A useful way to search through these waveforms is to select "Mask Failures on Channel X" in the buffer overview.

This makes it much easier to search through the waveform buffers and the failed waveforms can be viewed immediately.
Saving and Clearing Masks
Once a mask is created it is saved automatically into the PicoScope settings so the next time PicoScope is loaded the mask will appear in the library. Masks can also be saved for use on other machines, by going into Tools->Masks->Save Mask.

The file format is .mask and by default the location is selected is the “Waveforms” document under “My Documents”.
A mask can be cleared by clicking on Tools->Masks-> Clear Mask.
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

Apologies, I realise you mention PicoLog? This feature works in PicoScope Automotive, with the use of an automotive scope :(
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology