PicoScope 2104

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
branchpoint

PicoScope 2104

Post by branchpoint »

I just bought a 2104 for experimenting and thought it would also be nice to use on my car. It works fine on PicoScope6 (Windows XP) but PicoScope6 Automotive doesn't recognize it, even after uninstalling, cleaning out all Pico files I could find, deleting all the registry keys that weren't locked, and reinstalling. Is this a unit that just doesn't work with Automotive? Or am I doing something wrong here?

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: PicoScope 2104

Post by PicoMike »

Hi There,

The PicoScope 2104 does not work with our PicoScope Automotive software for various reasons, including those of safety (voltage levels).

Regards,

Mike
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Lee »

Hi

The PicoScope 2104 is a Test and Measurement scope for use really with low level circuits. It will only function in the Standard NON Automotive Software.

For Automotive use with this scope you risk not only damage and breakage to the 2104 Scope but possibly to yourself as its not designed with the 'FrontEnd' protection the Automotive Scopes have. Plus you cant connect to any of the Automotive Accessories easily like you could with the BNC front ended scopes.

Ideally id recommend the 4423 4-Channel Scope as people who purchase the 2 Channel Version often regret not getting the 4 Channel Version and upgrade which costs more in the long run.

Depending upon your budget, if your experimenting then one of the older 3000 Series Automotive Scopes (3223/3423)might do you just as well to start with. You cant get these from new but theres often kits on Ebay but id definatley recommend the 4423 if you can afford it, maybe the Starter Kit as that would give you certainly more use than the 2104 alone.

Kind Regards

Lee

branchpoint

Post by branchpoint »

Thank you very much. I can appreciate what you're saying, particularly about safety and connections. I'll probably upgrade at some point, but right now I'm just beginning to explore the things I can use the 2104 for.

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

Just incase you are not aware, our T&M forum maybe a good source of information on possible uses for the 2104 :)

http://www.picotech.com/support/

Mike
Mike Valentine

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Lee »

I understand what you mean, we all like to play with new toys :lol:

The only advice i could give you in conjunction in using the 2104 on Automotive Applications, not T&M Applications as this isnt really our field, is to keep to circuits under 20 Volts as this is the limit of the Scope.

Definatley Ignition is a complete No go :!:

Potentially you would 'probably' be safe with most battery circuits and engine circuits i.e. 5 - 12 volt stuff but keep away from actuators especially solenoid types. Although these run on the back of Battery Voltage, Injectors for example can get a kick back anywhere upto 125 Volts [MODERN Petrol Injectors] which even out ranges the 4000 Series scopes so you really do risk severe damage to the scope.

Id stick really to simple voltage tests and waveforms where you know the voltages including any kick back voltage wont exceed 20 Volts, this will be limited. Check always if possible the OEM's Technical Information for voltage information to find whats safe to test.

Hope this helps give you an idea what you may do, but if in doubt, you can alway use a Multimeter to check voltage before using the scope but in cases such as Injectors, ISCV's you may not see the kick back voltage as its a fast signal and the Multimeter may not catch it so you still have to be cautious and if still in doubt, dont test it as you have no attenuation to protect the scope.

You will also find the detail potentially poor due to the 8 bit resolution of the scope and the difficulty in grounding due to the way the 2104 works but if you stick to the signals mentioned you may get enough as a study but more than likely not ood enough for diagnostic quality.

I do stress, you must be careful what you test as this scope really isnt designed for use with Automotive Applications and really should not be used for this.

Kind Regards

Lee :D

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

This scope is not for use in an automotive environment.

Using it in this way will invalidate the warranty, and may damage the scope, the PC it is connected to, or yourself.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PicoMike »

Martyn wrote:This scope is not for use in an automotive environment.

Using it in this way will invalidate the warranty, and may damage the scope, the PC it is connected to, or yourself.
As I stated earlier (and now by a member of our Technical Support team), the 2104 is NOT designed for use in Automotive testing. Please do not attempt these tests :!: While the 2104 is able to do smaller voltage tests, the 2104 does not have the safe specification required for automotive testing.

For confirmation of this you can find the specs (note differences such as input ranges and overload protection) on our websites:

PicoScope 2104 - http://www.picotech.com/handheld-scope.html

PicoScope 4000 Series Automotive scopes - http://www.picoauto.com/diagnostic-scopes.html

If you have any queries please feel free to PM either myself or any of the admin team, or email us directly (see profile for email address).

Kind Regards,

Mike
Mike Valentine

branchpoint

Post by branchpoint »

Thank you all for the good advice. I bought the scope for shop experiments, but the automotive software looked so nice I wanted to try it as well. Guess I'm out of luck on that. I have plenty of experience letting the smoke out of things with wrong connections or too much voltage, so I'll just use it for my original purposes and keep it away from the car. It wouldn't be hard for me to build a voltage/current limiting interface for it, but that's too much trouble (and potential risk) for one 8-bit channel.

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Lee »

Well sometimes you just need to know what can be done so safe advice is as good as any and as you seemed persistant you were gonna use it, best know whats safe otherwise its a lot of money to waste so best keep within the tolerances of the scope.

As i said on earlier post, if you cant budget a full blown kit then look around on Ebay or theres a few customers around on other distributor forums offering second hand kits who have done an upgrade, otherwise try the Starter kit when your ready as you get the benefit of a new product and full 2 year warranty. You can always add and build up the accessories within time.

Let us know what kind of tests you do with the 2104 scope,even if its not automotive, be interesting to hear.

Kind Regards

Lee :D