Audi A4 EGR fault

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Audi A4 EGR fault

Post by Neilcur »

Hi folks me again!

Got a 2006 Audi a4 2.0 TDI BRE engine with a p0403 EGR code

Customers complaint was EML light on, lack of power and the automatic transmission not changing up the gears properly

Removed the EGR valve and was choked up beyond cleaning so replace it and gasket as my local audi parts supplier stocked one and i have had trouble with these before. Cleared codes and test drove car and full power returned and light stayed out but after 3 miles the car died down in power struggle to get past 40mph and EML returned.

Scoped air mass meter incase there was a fault but it peaked at over 4.5 so went onto EGR itself but its a 6 pin, 5 wire plug so wasn't sure what wire did what so probed them one by one.

I'm taking it pin 5 is the duty cycle but something doesn't look right because after initial start up the duty cycle changed to a 14v line and and stays there so i am not sure what is going on so looking for some pointers where to go next.

Thanks Neil
Attachments
audia4egrpin5.psdata
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 917 times

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Audi A4 EGR fault

Post by Neilcur »

here is air flow meter with codes cleared as when eml was on car wouldn't rev past 3500rpm.

Should there not be an initial rise and fall as manifold fills up with air?
Attachments
audia4airflowmeter2.psdata
(893.85 KiB) Downloaded 850 times

mteste03
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mteste03 »

Hi,

Have you checked the wiring?

Have not looked the vehicle up so maybe wrong; but is this the fully electronic setup with G212 and N18 combined? If so what do you see when comparing feedback signal to request duty?

What scanner?, - should be more detialed description than that. Have you looked at live data?

Matt

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

Hi

It has the throttle body bolted to egr then egr bolted between it and manifold and is all electric no vacuum pipes etc so take it that is the N18 and G212?

Not sure what wire should be doing what on EGR i had 5v on one wire 14v on another etc would rather try and get a wiring diagram so i knew what was what.

Code description is 16787/P0403/001027 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18): Malfunction

Scanner is an autodiagnos multi tester pro and the live data is in measuring blocks i am not sure what is what to look at live data will maybe check tomorrow if i can get any decent live data through the tool.

mteste03
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mteste03 »

Have you got VW ErWin account, may be worth buying a wiring diagram for this.

Have you reset adaptions and carried out all required basic settings?

Matt

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

I haven't no but another garage we do bodywork for has autologic for VAG so they were gonna hopefully sort out a wiring diagram for me or i could just do an hour's access to get a diagram for it.

I Haven't reset adaptions, what do you mean by carried out all required basic settings? Sorry for asking i don't have alot of knowledge on diagnostic stuff on the VAG group

mteste03
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mteste03 »

Under 'control unit functions' (maybe differnt on your tool) you should be able to perform basic settings on EGR valve, It will need to be perfomed on new valve.

Matt

mteste03
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mteste03 »

Try putting a current clamp around wiring on pin 5 at same time as taking voltage trace and post result up

Matt

GRUSS
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by GRUSS »

Certainly no VAG expert but if it's a 5 wire egr, I would imagine 2 are power and ground(duty cycled control) and the other 3 are a position sensor (power,ground and signal)

I'll keep an eye on this thread... :D

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi Neil

You must adapt the new EGR valve unit to the ECU - before you do anything else. :wink:

Regards
Kim