Parasitic draw test

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Parasitic draw test

Post by Neilcur »

Hi,

Is it normal for the amp reading to go minus 0 when using the amp clamp for this test or am i doing something wrong? i zero'd clamp before i started the capture and had it set on 20a scale

Thanks Neil

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Parasitic draw test

Post by Lee »

Hi Neil

Have you tried turning the Clamp around, i.e. remove it from the wire, flip it over and place it on the wire again.

it will show positive one way and negative the other.

Kind Regards

Lee :D

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

HI,

When i locked doors the trace went up to top of screen and then settled to 0 then after a short while went minus 2/3 amps so i took it, it was the right way round with the capture going high.

Thanks Neil

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Can you post your file up?

FF

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

I redone the test after posting the question and made sure i had clamp right way round and it was ok and is now reading ok. It must of been something i did? i removed negative lead and put a jumper cable between post and terminal and took reading of the cable. Does the length of jumper cable affect the result or not?

jez1342
OneWave
OneWave

Post by jez1342 »

cable length wont effect reading.
if you have to use a smaller thickness wire inbetween battery terminal and clamp make sure you dont interrupt the vehicles power supply as this may hide the fault your testing for :!:

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Neil,

The switch on the amp probe is rather touchy. It's easy to slide it and have it between the range detents and not realize it. This makes it behave very strangely. Make sure you have the slider switch firmly located at the selected range. Also, the battery can be low and not illuminate the low battery indicator but still cause bogus readings.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
Autonerdz