Hi new here

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Hi new here

Post by Neilcur »

Hi all,
been browsing forum for a few months now don't actually have a pico yet but in process of talking my boss into buying one. Getting a lend of one tomorrow to have a play with so should hopefully impress him! Been in trade for 8 years since leaving school so not the most experienced as most on here, so may need help with some things that seem basic but forgive me. My work hasn't really invested alot in diagnostic training even though we use autologic (land rover) they just rely on helpline which isn't aswell ideal, so everything i have learnt has been through forums or read on internet or through support desk with autologic. Look forward to learning through this forum though. I have read through the case studies and downloaded software and went through waveforms in automotive section so have an idea of some of the basics before i actually use one.

Thanks Neil

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Hi new here

Post by Martyn »

Welcome to the forum Neil, plenty of knowledge and advice so just ask.
downloaded software and went through waveforms in automotive section
:D You'll soon be up to speed.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

Thanks Martyn,

I have got a couple questions i thought i'd ask which i haven't found answers for,

1. How are people going about hooking scope up to do a road test if the sensor they are looking at is under bonnet i.e crank sensor or wheel speed sensor at ABS unit? Any hints or tips there?

2. Dave Hill put a case study up on a hard starting focus in cold weather and measured the rpm speed of old starter vs new how is this done? I noticed he put cursors on some of the compression humps and measured the time taken for starter to spin the engine over, i take it this was to work the rpm out?

3.Is it worth buying a Coil-On-Plug Ignition Probe just to measure secondary ignition or do you really need to also buy the Coil-On-Plug Extension Lead set for cartridge type coil packs or can the probe pick each signal up one at a time or would you struggle this way as you couldn't have all 4 cylinders on the screen at once if you were trying to pin point which cylinder is misfiring?

Hope these questions aren't daft haha just new to scoping and would rather ask first so i know when time comes!

Thanks Neil

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

1. How are people going about hooking scope up to do a road test if the sensor they are looking at is under bonnet i.e crank sensor or wheel speed sensor at ABS unit? Any hints or tips there?
It all depends where the modules are situated doesn't it as all these you mention are inputs :wink:
2. Dave Hill put a case study up on a hard starting focus in cold weather and measured the rpm speed of old starter vs new how is this done? I noticed he put cursors on some of the compression humps and measured the time taken for starter to spin the engine over, i take it this was to work the rpm out?
Bottom right corner of the graticule :wink:
3.Is it worth buying a Coil-On-Plug Ignition Probe just to measure secondary ignition or do you really need to also buy the Coil-On-Plug Extension Lead set for cartridge type coil packs or can the probe pick each signal up one at a time or would you struggle this way as you couldn't have all 4 cylinders on the screen at once if you were trying to pin point which cylinder is misfiring?
There are many ways of pin pointing a misfire along with several tools...............

Buy your scope & book a course, makes sense really.

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

The closest course to me is glasgow and is not until april so if we buy one i will have to work it out until then! Wat about say an engine ecu under bonnet how would you route cables to be out the road? I had a look at case study again and noticed at hz reading at bottom right corner is that what you wear meaning?

Thanks Neil

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

frequency/RPM yes.

Back or pierce probe under the bonnet, route the probes out towards the scuttle panel & into the car via a window, cable tie under the bonnet in places to secure/protect.

Some faults can be done without the need to road test.

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

Thanks for information, guess i just need to start using a scope now and it will all make sense, scope came today so just need to try it out on something and get a feel for it, got a rover coming in on this week that has been to another garage and hasn't been fixed so could be good chance to use the scope! Will no doubt end up posting on forum for help once i start looking at it!

Thanks Neil

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

NB : when piercing always seal with liquid tape afterwards.

What's the fault on the Rover ?

Neilcur
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Neilcur »

It's a rover 25 automatic petrol (i think) that is going into limp home mode while driving at speed, other garage told customer it is something to do with a sensor or wiring on one of sensors on auto box going by fault codes they retrieved but have had car in a few times with no luck so will wait and see what codes i get before i decide which route to take.

Thanks Neil