hello new owner

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
davenirish

hello new owner

Post by davenirish »

I am getting a picoscope 3206 a/b scope next week from aquantce of mine who does not use it. Will the automotive software work with it? Can I upgrade or add a 2nd scope for more channels?

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: hello new owner

Post by Martyn »

The 3206A/B is an 8 bit test and measurement scope that has not been designed to use in the Automotive Environment, and as such it will not work with the Automotive version of PicoScope 6 or the Diagnostics program.

With extreme care you could use it, provided you were careful not to expose it to an overvoltage, but you would have to use the standard software and manually configure all the settings for each test you wish to carry out.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Lee »

Hi Dave

Welcome to the World of PicoScope Automotive :D

I hate to go against Technical but im gonna have to on this one.

The 8 Bit Scope will be useless to you im afraid. The resolution will be really poor when looking at Secondary Ignition, you wont get any diagnostic detail at all and the detail will be that poor it could actually hide any irreguarities i.e. an actual problem.

On top of this, you will need attenuators as the scope only has a 20V Input Range therefore you woudnt be able to look at Injectors, Primary Ignition or other circtuis above Battery Voltage plus depending upon you application some LCV's as well as HGV's are 24 Volt Systems so you will be extremley limited in use on this.

I think the biggest issue you will have is resolution, certainly for Secondary, Primary, CAN Bus and signals of this nature the scope will be useless. You really do need a 12 Bit Scope with 4 channels.

On top of this, for Automotive you wont benefit from the software, you could run the Automotive Software next to the T&M but its a lot of work just to look at the Help Pages then trying to compare multiple pages for comparison, reference.

Also as the Scope you have is T&M, you cant use Pico Diagnostics, so in reference to using this scope for Automotive, im afraid you have an extremley limited use scope which i dont feel will give you any useful information.

Sorry to sound all negative but i really do feel the scope will be useless to you.

Kind Regards

Lee :D

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Lee has made some valid points with reference to using 8 bit scopes in the automotive environment and a standard/advanced four channel automotive kit, including a 12bit scope, is what we would recommend for a serious user, or a 2 or 4 channel starter kit for someone who wishes to dip their toe in the water with a view to upgrading in the future.

I would suggest taking a look through our library http://www.picoauto.com/automotive-library.html to get a feel for our automotive products, and what we offer.

Obviously for most people price is a factor in any decision so if the scope is well priced it may still be of use, so if you wish to discuss your options in more detail please contact me at support@picotech.com
Martyn

davenirish

Post by davenirish »

yes price is a factor with this still work in conjunction with a newer 2 CHANNEL scope to get 4 channels? sorry for all the questions I am I starting out technician new to scope. what's up apparently work that has a itch that plugs in the scanner and is hard to read. looking to get on that is a little bit more up to date.

I'm getting the 3206 be for 250 dollars US is it worth it. will it have any value to me .

Lee
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Lee »

Hi Dave

The only thing your be able to test with very limited accuracy with that level of scope is 5 volt circuits i.e. sensors and some actuators. It will be extremely limited for you within Automotive and as I commented above I'd really advise against it.

Its not just the scope, you would need to purchase attenuators, test leads, acupuncture probes, amps clamps, and even then you don't get the full benefits from the full automotive package.

Budgets are tight nowadays and im sure we would all agree the Automotive Technician doesn't get paid nearly as much as he should but if you can stretch your budget, try to purchase a second hand kit or look on EBay, you'd get far better use from a used automotive kit in good condition, then you would a scope not designed for that purpose and would give you poor diagnostic capabilities.

Hope this helps

Lee :D

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

I would check http://www.picotech.com/picoscope3000.html for the price and specification of the scope you have been offered, $250 would be a very good price if it has all the bits with it.

Might be worth getting and then try and exchange it for a 4423 somewhere
Martyn