Systems Operation - Kia Sorento

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Interrupt
OneWave
OneWave

Systems Operation - Kia Sorento

Post by Interrupt »

I’ve recently become the proud owner of a Pico. As you can imagine I’ve been playing with it, basically the more I play the questions I have.
One of the first questions is a systems operation library? Is there a site or some resource were you can look-up the operation of the different sensors over a wide range of makes and models?
Looking at a wave forms on a Kia Sorento Air flow sensor this is what I found on the 5 pins.
1. 12 volts
2. Earth
3. Analogue Signal??I didn’t save the capture but it didn’t change over the rev range. (Temp sensor?)
4. 3.02volts(digital volt meter reading @ idle) Square wave 54% Duty (Fixed frequency never changes over the rev range…no load…snap throttle)
5. 2.59volts(digital volt meter reading @ idle) Square wave Frequency modulated about 2.8Khz at idle and around 5Khz at high idle) [50% Duty cyl]

My assumptions was that pin 3 was the Temp sensor signal, Pin 5 was/is the air flow signal it’s frequency changes over the rev range. What’s pin 4 all about it just sits there at fixed frequency and duty cycle????

PicoMike
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Systems Operation - Kia Sorento

Post by PicoMike »

Hi - You haven't mentioned which year your Sorento is? The only thing I can find online is the following page (relating to a 2007):

http://www.justanswer.com/car/1tdil-tel ... or-o7.html

To be honest these things are best with at least a waveform trace, if you could recapture the waveform?
Mike Valentine
Online BDM: Pico Technology

Interrupt
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Interrupt »

I will do as soon as I can get the car in again! :oops:

Interrupt
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Interrupt »

Hi All
Couldn’t get hold of the “Sorento”, but I’ve attached some from a “Sportage” which as far as I can remember are identical. All the captures were taken of voltage and frequency on each pin from idle through to full throttle with the exception of pin5 capture which was two snap throttles from idle to full throttle.

As per the first post I'd like two know the function of pin 4....Are my assumptions on the other pins correct??
Attachments
AirflowSensor.txt
(93 Bytes) Downloaded 756 times
AirflowPin5.psdata
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 770 times
AirflowPin4.psdata
(5.22 MiB) Downloaded 748 times
AirflowPin3.psdata
(142.63 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
AirflowPin2.psdata
(98.65 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
AirflowPin1.psdata
(63.19 KiB) Downloaded 744 times

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

Thats the same layout I was getting from a hyundia sante fe, and the same conclusions I came to. With which wire does what etc.

If you get your vehicle back in, any chance of a cam vs crank waveform?
Thanks

Interrupt
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Interrupt »

will do :D

antthecat
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by antthecat »

Will a 55 plate KIA sorento be ok for a cam crank, if I get time today ill grab a capture.

Avdr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Avdr »

The one I was working on was 56, first of the facelifts. Engine may still be the same, D4EB. If it looks likely to be same, and you have the time that would be great.

Crank sensor comes up to a connector plug at the front of the engine, at the number 4 end of the engine. Forget now if it was 2 pin or 3 pin.

Thanks