Hello! Im new :)

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
pjaska

Hello! Im new :)

Post by pjaska »

Hello! Im car mechanic from finland.

I have been working with cars and other vehicles for many many years. I have been professional car mechanic for about 2 years soon. I have great selection of tools at my carage (all sorts of basic tools, 2 pilar car lifter, bosch kts 540 tester and newest picoscope automotive advanced kit :D ) even better then many workshops in the area.
I just changed my work place (i have been working in 4 workshops) and i think i have now found a place that i might stick to :)

Lately I have started to be very interested at car electronic systems (mostly becouse of this site) and i have been studying this site very much! I couldnt figure out any other way for mastering the art of useing oscilloscope then getting one of my own :) only one thing is bugging me, its the fact that if i break it its out from my own pocket :roll: i have been useing it very carefully cos i dont have confidence yet.

I have couple of noobie questions, hope someone would be kind enough to help me forward with my training :)
I would like to know can the amp clamps break if too much current is going through it? In example: 60 amp clamp in 20 amp mode and 35 amp goes through or 60 amp clamp in 60 amp mode and 100 amps goes through it?? And i think that if i put 20:1 attenuator in place and start to measure ignition primary voltages, it shouldnt be able to break anything right? im maybe bit too careful with my scope :oops: Better safe then sorry (at least when dealing with expensive devices at your own expense) :wink:

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Hello! Im new :)

Post by Liteace »

amp clamps are not a problem, you will just redline so to speak, as for attenuator on the Pico page it does say

"Please note this attenuator should not be used for any high voltage measurements other than fuel injectors and primary ignition"

I think your'll be safe
DONT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT

Robski
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robski »

Fuel injector and primary ignition signals contain short duration high voltage spikes “inductive kicks”. We therefore recommend the use of two ground connections between the oscilloscope and the vehicle under test. One ground connection is made using the measurement test lead. A second ground lead should be connected between one of the BNC connectors on the oscilloscope and a secure ground point on the vehicle such as the negative terminal of the battery. Misconfiguration and/or failure to follow these warnings may cause damage to the product and/or computer and could cause injury to yourself or others.

pjaska

Post by pjaska »

Thank you for the help and information :mrgreen:

Greg.H
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Bosch kts 540

Post by Greg.H »

Hi

Could you tell me how many live data you can watch once on the screen with Bosch kts 540.Also how good is with actuation and programing.
I've got Delphi DS 150E but need another good scanner

Thanks
Greg

pjaska

Post by pjaska »

Hi greg! sorry for answering so slowly... my kts 540 can see 4 measured values but i have old version of esi tronic, at work we have esi 2.0 and kts 570 and it can show 8 live datas at once :) it is over all good scanner, just have to do some learning if you want use esi efficiently. it can be used at ''pass thru mode'' so programming is possible but i havent tryed programming yet.